Cya level SWG

dex16

Apr 29, 2017
NJ
I'm a little confused. TFP recommends a CYA level of 70-80 with a swg. I've got a 16k gunite pool with a Jandy Aquapure 1400, which is oversized but came with the pool. I'm running it at 15% 9 hours a day right now in NJ and my chlorine is 4.8. My CYA is 55.
So my question is, why should I increase my CYA levels when my chlorine stays high with only 15% cell on time?
Fcl 4.81
Tcl 4.83
pH 7.8
Alk 50
Cya 55
Ch 275
Borate 52
Temp 65
Salt 3300
Thanks for any insight

Besides preserving the FC generated by your SWG, the next big advantage is to lessen the use of the SWG and/or pump time on your system. For example, you're running at 9 hrs now, but what if you could maintain that same FC level by running the system only 4 hrs? Not only would your SWG service life be extended, but you should save a few $$ from energy pump run-times. It's really a matter of adjusting those parameters to meet your pool's FC demand while extending SWG cell life and saving some money. You'll see a bit more of that discussed at the links below. Hope that helps.
Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators
Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

In New Jersey you might be fine with the slightly lower cya level. A higher cya level would allow the swg to work even less and should last longer.
How are you testing your water that you have such interesting numbers?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.