CYA level after long winter

Jun 19, 2018
Nova Scotia
would CYA be all gone after 8 months of fall & winter ? I was at 60 when I closed the poll. 2 days ago I added 77 oz, that should have gotten me to 30 ppm so that I can start the SLAM process.
However I'm reading like 50 today. Or is it too soon to get a proper CYA level reading? I did dissolve in sock in proper method, brushed, PH @ 7.4. I'm just concerned that the current slam level of 12 may not be accurate if CYA is indeed more that 30. No I did not take a reading of CYA level before I started, my bad.

48 hours after it's all dissolved should be enough time to get a good reading. If you're reading 50 on the CYA test, then SLAM at 50 CYA, and not 30. You might have had some residual left over from last year - it doesn't all go away each winter, typically.

CYA does not generally go away. Maybe 1 - 2 ppm per month. If you closed with 60 I would have expected most of that to still be there.

I'm sure you have at least 50, if not more.

My CYA has been 0 at the last two pool openings when closing with 40 or so the previous year. I don't know why. I have a mesh cover, so my best guess is that the bacteria that eats it into ammonia was in the pool and converted it, but since it's only 40ppm or so further diluted by emptying below the returns and then rain/snow refilling, the initial chlorine I add at startup gets rid of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.