CYA - Keeps Decreasing

Patrickoleary

Apr 7, 2019
Greensburg,PA
All summer, my CYA climbed and climbed. I had to add more and more pucks. The vicious cycle continued. CYA was 150 and I had enough.

I converted to SWG two months ago. While doing so, it was the middle of summer and my kids were in the pool all the time. I didn’t want to drain. I tried the BioActive CYA Reducer that seems to not have good reviews here. For me, it worked extremely well. 8 oz added and it went from 150 to 90. Another 8 oz and it went from 90 to 50. I was shocked. I tested and tested to make sure I was right.

So being the good pool math follower that I am, I wanted to raise to 75 or so. The issue I am having is that I have added liquid conditioner, granulated stabilizer, etc. per the pool math directions multiple times and CYA will not rise. I have verified test numbers using ColorLogic, TF-100 and my pool store. All same CYA every time.

We have not been having enough rain to dilute things and the kids haven’t been swimming as much because of a cold spell here in August in Pittsburgh. Not much splash out.

I’m not sure what to make of it. Could the BioActive still be working? Something else?

FYI, I had also been doing a SLAM over the last month. That is done. I’ve had the SWG off for two days and FCL only dropped 1 ppm.

I would suggest you start from scratch.

Sorry to be a doubting Thomas but bio-active doesn't work......it never has. So the fact that yours worked so perfectly sorta' throws a wet blanket on the fact that now you can't put CYA in your pool.

My point here is that you are polar opposite from the thousands of pools reporting on this forum. The bio-active has never worked in any pool but yours, yet, thousands of pools add CYA and you can't. How can we make sense of that?

That you lost only 1 ppm FC in two days is another thing that doesn't add up.....it just doesn't work like that (unless you have an indoor pool)

I would suggest you start from scratch.

Sorry to be a doubting Thomas but bio-active doesn't work......it never has. So the fact that yours worked so perfectly sorta' throws a wet blanket on the fact that now you can't put CYA in your pool.

My point here is that you are polar opposite from the thousands of pools reporting on this forum. The bio-active has never worked in any pool but yours, yet, thousands of pools add CYA and you can't. How can we make sense of that?

That you lost only 1 ppm FC in two days is another thing that doesn't add up.....it just doesn't work like that (unless you have an indoor pool)
Yep, I hear you. Hence my questions. I’m not promoting BioActive. I just know my CYA has reduced from almost 150 down to 50 without draining my pool. I read all the posts here and am confused as anyone

There has been no sun the last two days as well.

You mentioned starting from scratch. Explain please.

What test kit are you using for the test results you are posting? Your signature lists the TF-100 and the Color Q.

Forgetting the CYA going from 150 to 90 to 50. That's just confusing the issue.

When I installed the SWG, my CYA was at 70. I was having issues. Did a SLAM for over a week. FC up to close to 30. CYA was down to 60. Added liquid to get to 75. It raised to 68. Checked again. Down to 60. Added granules to get to 75. Checked again after a week. CYA = 63.

I was reading in another thread that a SLAM can cause CYA burn off.

You mentioned starting from scratch. Explain please.
Disregard the bioactive results. It's not relevant.

Use one kit to do your CYA testing......the TF-100. TFP generally is wary of the repeatability of the Color-Q.

OK, so using the TF-100 report your current CYA in increments of 10 (30, 40, 50, etc) and round up.

More info when you post that back.

When I installed the SWG, my CYA was at 70. I was having issues. Did a SLAM for over a week. FC up to close to 30. CYA was down to 60. Added liquid to get to 75. It raised to 68. Checked again. Down to 60. Added granules to get to 75. Checked again after a week. CYA = 63.

CYA measures of 75 or 68 or 63 are meaningless precision that you can not manage to. CYA testing accuracy is +/-10 ppm at best.

CYA 60 is fine in PA for a SWG. If you were in TX then you would want it higher.

Use your TF-100 and manage your CYA level in round numbers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.