NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I've been reading quite a bit in here, probably too much! Thanks to everyone for the insights they provide. We purchased a house with this pool several years ago and I've managed to get by using some combination of tabs and bleach as needed. I tested maybe 1x/week and always had small bouts with algae but generally kept the pH and FC in line with where they needed to be (used an older Taylor 5 way test kit).

Since I have added in a decent amount of bleach (8 gallons) and the FC barely budged, I figured there was a CYA problem and decided it's time I follow more of what you all are doing. I got a TFT 100 test kit and the readings showed CYA of 0 and FC of 0.5. The TA (90) and pH (7.8) are a tad on the high side, but the problem is no CYA. I have ordered some stabilizer and plan to put 8lbs in the pool (using a sock) before adding more bleach to raise the FC. Since this is my first time following the pool math app, am I missing anything? Thanks!

With no CYA the chlorine disappears extremely fast from the sun. So you want a minimum CYA of 30. Get stabilizer soaking in a sock then start squeezing it all out in about 30 min. I just did that last night myself. Add chlorine right away to about 5 ppm. If you find the FC still disappearing quickly, don't add anymore stabilizer, just let us know.

Reactions: Mdragger88
With no CYA the chlorine disappears extremely fast from the sun. So you want a minimum CYA of 30. Get stabilizer soaking in a sock then start squeezing it all out in about 30 min. I just did that last night myself. Add chlorine right away to about 5 ppm. If you find the FC still disappearing quickly, don't add anymore stabilizer, just let us know.
Thanks. Stabilizer is on order and will hopefully get here this weekend. I'll be sure to have chlorine ready to go as well so that I can see if the FC bumps up and doesn't disappear right away.

If you're able to test often, trust the results and the pool math recommendations. And as was said, with a CYA close to 0 it'll be a lot of bleach and little FC improvement. I just went through that and just kept at it. got my first FC at 3.5 today, which coincides with my CYA having been raised to around 40-45. I was a bit scared given the amount of bleach I was having to pour in, but it worked just fine and likely I was losing it fast because it's been sunny and over 32 degrees celsius (90 F) for days. Pool is now crystal clear and I just need to raise my FC a bit and should be all in ideal ranges. People here know their stuff, I got some good advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.