CYA in regular liquid bleach?

Jun 21, 2017
Danville VA
I have been having problems with the CYA in my pool for about 2 years. Last year I started reading the TFP site about how to correct this and realized that I had using the trichlor tabs and this was contributing to my problem. Last year it go over 100. I took the TFP advice and started just using liquid bleach from Walmart instead of any other chlorine product. In the fall I pumped out at least a third of my water to help dilute the water in my pool with rainfall over the winter. This spring my CYA had dropped to 75. I have been using NOTHING but liquid bleach from Walmart to maintain my pool since. Today I had my water tested and the CYA had gone up to 90. My water is crystal clear and I am not having any problems, but I cannot figure out how my CYA went up.

Today I had my water tested and the CYA had gone up to 90.
which means you didn't test it yourself using one of our recommended test kits!~ CYA test is the one that pool stores are most likely to be the worst on. I have no reason to believe your # for it last year was any good either! Bleach does NOT add CYA btw. Welcome to the forum.

I did purchase the TF 100 test kit last year and have used it but I just don't trust myself with the CYA test. I keep second guessing when the black dot disappears. I assumed ( I know a bad thing) the store would be more accurate. I will get my kit out and trust myself more. I knew that it did not make any sense for regular store bleach to have any CYA. Thank you for the reply

one very often missed aspect is the cya testing method.

your back, to full sun, with the vial at waist level, then pour in solution.

look at the dot, look away, look at the dot, look away, pour more in
until you can just barely see it.

I first tested cya under a lamp light inside....results were not right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.