CYA in a skimmer sock

StogieC

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
New Smyrna Beach FL
We had a good bit a rain recently and I had to drain a couple of inches of water from the pool to keep from overflowing and get the skimmer opening back above the water line. I noticed that the FC was getting lower than normal so out came the entire test kit.

FC 1.8
CC 0.2 (frog bones in the skimmer, I liquified a frog :?)
pH 8.0
TA 50
CH 310
CYA 35 (tested twice)
NaCl 2900

Muriatic Acid to pH 7.6 - Baking Soda to TA 70 - Calcium Chloride to CH 350. Picking up more salt after work today.

So, CYA dropped from 65 to 35 with just letting out a couple inches of water... I'm still baffled by this.
Anyway... I have 4lb of stabilizer in a skimmer sock sitting in my skimmer right now and it dawned on me that if this glorified pantyhose in my skimmer busts or gets eaten by the acid in it, I'm going to have a skimmer pipe full of stabilizer. Should I be worried about this?

IMG_3869.jpg

I think most recommend you to hang it on the outside/in front of the skimmer on the pool side. Most likely to avoid exactly what you are describing. In the past I have added Stabilizer directly to the skimmer slowly pouring it in. You still have your skimmer basket installed, so any "chunks" should be clogged by the basket but as we all know, anything is possible.

Also keep in mind, it is suggested to round up your CYA test results to the next 10, so 35 equals 40.

I do not think I would be concerned but that's easy for me to say, I would relocate it when I got home just to get that extra reassurance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.