CYA help!

EASpools

In The Industry
May 1, 2024
Cusseta, AL
i run a route of about 20 pools currently but on my startups i am struggling with cya! i have tried raising it with the sock method in the skimmer and the jets but with me backwashing daily since its green and then vac to waste im losing alot of water and its so hard to keep the cya high! im debating on using liquid stabilizer and get it to around 60ppm so it'll can drop some and not make the pool a headache again to raise it! it just seems cya is the hardest chemical to keep balanced during the startup

There is no difference on how long cya lasts whether liquid or granular is used. Just a cost & convenience difference.
$12 worth of dry (3#) vs $43 worth of liquid (1gal) to raise cya 18ppm in a 20k gal pool. I imagine that would add up pretty quickly with 20 pools.
*If Liquid cya is used you should use the entire bottle which then gets rinsed out in the pool multiple times or the results may not be as expected/calculated since it tends to want to stay in the bottle.
Also,
If you start out with a higher cya your slam/shock fc level required will be higher. What you save in headache replenishing cya later will be spent on using more chlorine up front to clear the pool.
FC/CYA Levels
SLAM Process
IMG_9771.jpeg

Reactions: newdude