South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi all, i’m using a taylor test kit, and am consistently filling up the entire tube and still seeing the black dot after multiple additions of CYA using the sock method. I used the pool math app based on 20ppms because i wasn’t sure how low it was. i’m not having any major issues so assumed there was some stabilizer, but was wondering if any other factors could be making it hard for the pool to hold stabilizer. alternatively i guess my CYA could be much lower but i’ve never been under 20 before. here are current readings from this morning:

FC 3.5

PH 7.4

TA 100

CH 350

CYA 🤷‍♂️

Can you post the specific brand of CYA you are using? A pic would be killer! We have had some reports of some CYA not working so bueno.

When did you add the CYA? How much did you add (oz/lbs)? CYA usually shows up after 24-48 hours. Sometimes it can take 4-5 days...

pic below of the product (suggested by a forum member). pool math app had me add about 2 pounds. i added one pound 2 days ago, tested, then another pound yesterday. maybe i just need to wait it out a bit more to see if it’s just lagging behind

Attachments

• IMG_4364.png
    IMG_4364.png
    293.3 KB · Views: 4
2 pounds of dry stabilizer is 12 ppm CYA in your pool. That is within the error range for the test.

I have used that brand for years. Without issue.

so you’d recommend adding more? my struggle is that i don’t know my starting point because the taylor test kit STARTS at 30. if you were me would you assume you are starting far below 30 and keep adding a few pounds at a time until it reads 30?

Correct. You have a SWCG. You should be targeting 50 ppm or so at this time of year.

Add the stabilizer at 2-3 pounds each time. Let fully dissolve from the sock and wait 24-48 hours to test.

Reactions: BMerrill
Correct. You have a SWCG. You should be targeting 50 ppm or so at this time of year.

Add the stabilizer at 2-3 pounds each time. Let fully dissolve from the sock and wait 24-48 hours to test.
SWG hasn’t been installed yet (impossible to get on a schedule with the companies around here) so i’m just preparing for a SLAM and period of time before it gets installed. i wanted to level it 30 for the SLAM

Reactions: PoolStored
If this pool is new, then you know how much stabilizer to add to get to 30 ppm. Add that and move on.

SWG hasn’t been installed yet (impossible to get on a schedule with the companies around here) so i’m just preparing for a SLAM and period of time before it gets installed. i wanted to level it 30 for the SLAM
Are you you planning on a SLAM for a specific reason or just planning ahead? Hint: no need to plan ahead for one. Just keep the chlorine in there now up to par and avoid needing to SLAM from the start.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you you planning on a SLAM for a specific reason or just planning ahead? Hint: no need to plan ahead for one. Just keep the chlorine in there now up to par and avoid needing to SLAM from the start.
Good question. I failed an OCLT, so in advance of getting the SWG installed I was hoping to rid my pool of all algae via a slam. My understand is that in order for the SLAM to be most effective, i'll need a minimum CYA level of 30 (to protect my chlorine during the day and also to ensure we have the correct rations for FC). I was just a bit nervous about starting a slam when the taylor test kit was still full to the top without blocking the black dot, but I'm not sure how low it actually is.

Good question. I failed an OCLT, so in advance of getting the SWG installed I was hoping to rid my pool of all algae via a slam. My understand is that in order for the SLAM to be most effective, i'll need a minimum CYA level of 30 (to protect my chlorine during the day and also to ensure we have the correct rations for FC). I was just a bit nervous about starting a slam when the taylor test kit was still full to the top without blocking the black dot, but I'm not sure how low it actually is.
Ok. Just wanted to make sure you weren’t doing a SLAM for maintainence reasons. Having algae is a good reason to SLAM. Having 40ppm CYA isn’t terrible either so if you’re under 30ppm, add 10ppm and it’ll be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.