CYA going down

RGS

Bronze Supporter
Jul 17, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
I use bleach and muriatic acid to maintain my pool. I have a chlorine tablet feeder that I can use if I will be away for an extended period, but I haven't used any tabs for almost a year. I follow the TFP guidelines for keeping a proper FC/CYA ratio.

The last time I measured the CYA was last October, and it was 70. Recently I noticed that my FC is being used up faster than I expected, about 3.5 or more ppm per day. I started to think that maybe my CYA has gone down, and sure enough it was about 25 when I measured it a few days ago.

I'm surprise the CYA would go down that much in 9 months. I've only added enough water to replace what is lost by evaporation. There is very little splash out of water since kids are not in it that often.

I'm thinking of adding some more CYA, and wondering what an optimum balance would be? Adding more CYA should reduce my consumption of chlorine. I know that the level of FC must be raised when CYA goes up, but that doesn't mean using more chlorine, since I only have to replace what the sun consumes. Thus, raising the CYA level should cause me to use less chlorine even though the FC level must be kept higher. Given that I am able to keep my FC level at the proper FC/CYA ratio, what is the harm in raising CYA? When does it become too high? In other words, what is the optimum CYA level?

The chlorine I use is the HASA brand.

We suggest a CYA of 30-50 ppm for non-SWCG pools. In your area I would suggest the 50 ppm unless you live on the immediate coast.

CYA degradation occurs. It is especially prevalent in pools that are warm (above 80F for extended periods) and if FC is kept at higher than target levels.

Here in the desert, with water temperatures near 90F during the summer, I can lose as much as 15 ppm of CYA a month. Normal is 5-10 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.