CYA Getting High?

Aug 24, 2013
Ready to start taking my pool seriously again for the season here in FL, I tested today and here are my results:

FC - 1
PH - 8++
TA - 120
CYA - 75

I know that when I add acid to lower the pH it will lower the TA so I am not too concerned about that...but the CYA is on the rise maybe as high as 80ppm, not a good way to start the season so I am thinking time for a partial water change? Maybe there was not enough sun this winter to consume enough CYA? We use Trichlor tablets in a chlorinator, so the CYA:Chlorine ratio is out of order.

Suggestions?

Discontinue using trichlor tablets.

Use only liquid chlorine except when you will be away for a few days.

Take care.

Ready to start taking my pool seriously again for the season here in FL, I tested today and here are my results:

FC - 1
PH - 8++
TA - 120
CYA - 75

I know that when I add acid to lower the pH it will lower the TA so I am not too concerned about that...but the CYA is on the rise maybe as high as 80ppm, not a good way to start the season so I am thinking time for a partial water change? Maybe there was not enough sun this winter to consume enough CYA? We use Trichlor tablets in a chlorinator, so the CYA:Chlorine ratio is out of order.

Suggestions?
I'd be much more concerned about that very low FC first.

Unknown size or construction material? You can estimate the size, at least get in the ball park, with PoolMath. Then when you add acid, you can narrow it down a lot.
Construction material? Only really three, vinyl, plaster, or fiberglass. Some oddities, but they are rare.

Can you add at least something about the pool to your signature? Right now, when I read your post, I assume we are talking about your 200 gallon, most likely fiberglass, spa.

Thanks

I know, I just have not gotten around to collecting all the measurements yet.

I just had the pool resurfaced with DiamondBrite does that help determine material?

Just to clarify, my original post clearly stated that I am working on my POOL I used the four lettered word "pool" which means a body of water larger than a hot tub.

Ready to start taking my pool seriously again...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would think with 62 posts on this forum you would know how willing to help members are. But giving meaningful accurate advice requires some knowledge of what they are being asked about, such as an estimated pool size and type. How can you make any chemical additions without having an inkling of pool size? Even pool store chemicals list treatment amounts per pool volume on the packaging. I know this isn't a constructive post per say, but I just can't stand seeing people respond like this when all anyone is trying to do is help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.