CYA dropping

May 16, 2017
Newtown, PA
So I am so confused. A few years ago I had an issue with the CYA in my pool being way too high and the only solution was to drain most of the pool and start again. At the time I was using chlorine tablets in a chlorinator. Being on this site I learned that those tablets have CYA in them and that's why there was so much in my pool. I started using this system to care for my pool and it has been awesome ever since. But here is where I get confused...I closed the pool last year with a CYA level of 35. We just opened the pool on Tuesday and now my CYA is too low to detect with my test kit. I added chlorine tablets the chlorinator in an attempt to raise the CYA level, because I had them and I really don't want to go out and buy stabilizer. Do you think the tablets will be enough to raise the CYA level? How did the CYA drop so much while the pool was covered? Is is just from the draining of the water below the skimmers and then the refilling of that foot of water?

My CYA drops to near zero over the winter as well. I have no idea why but it’s not unusual for it to lower over the off season.

I have always wondered if CYA breakdown in cold climes. My CYA goes down in the off season because the winter rains dilute the pool quite a bit and I have to drain the pool to keep it from overflowing. Do you get a lot of rain water and snow melt in your pool?

Very little. I have a solid cover, so most of the water collects on top and is pumped off by the pool cover pump. I just don't remember the levels being this low last year at opening. I put in 5 pucks that I had left over in the garage and running the pump 24 hours hoping it will add enough CYA to get it to the level I need to balance everything else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.