CYA Disappearing Act

Budso

Jul 21, 2014
Sacramento
I know this topic has been covered ad nauseam but I would like to relate the details of my CYA experience.

Background:
I have been at this pool chemistry game for five years. I'm certainly no expert but with the help of this forum, I have successfully managed my pool through five seasons with no surprises; that is, until last summer (2021)

Strategy:
Over the years I have found a chemical "sauce" that seems to work well. This recipe keeps the CSI well within the normal range.
CYA - 70 having crept up during the season
FC - 10 10% liquid sodium hypochlorite
PH - 8.0
TA - 50
CH - 500
Temp around 86
Note: For better or worse, I run a fairly high PH with a correspondingly low TA. With the opposite setup (TA 70-90 and lower PH 7.2-7.6) I found myself chasing my tail, adding more sodium bicarb for TA, more acid for PH, more 'bicarb, more acid, etc. . .

Scenario:
Last year mid-summer, with chemicals balanced quite nicely and the water having that certain polished look, I began to notice the CC slowly creeping up. With low bather load, the CC went to 1.6-1.8 despite my persistent use of liquid chlorine approaching shock levels. The pool smelled of chlorine and ammonia. After a period of two-three weeks and much chlorine, the numbers slowly returned to normal. I then tested all chemicals and found the CYA to have fallen from 70 to barely 20. I ran the CYA test again with the same result. I refused to believe the test.

With chlorine levels safe for 70 CYA but dangerously high for 20 CYA, I went swimming and suffered foggy vision for nearly two days. I closed the pool until the excess chlorine burned off and resorted to Tri-Chlor to increase CYA for the remainder of the season.

The pool was surrounded by bare, unlandscaped ground with a recent addition of compost. High summer winds prevailed during this period, with some soil found in the pool.

Opening the pool 2022:
March - April :
CYA <30. Added Tri-Chlor that brought CYA to 45

May:
More windstorms, more soil in the pool.
CYA tested, dropping from 45 to 30ppm. Once again, I have now resorted to tabs until the CYA is within the normal range. (I know I could buy stabilizer, but artificially raising CYA just goes against my grain.)

Question: Could soil that contaminates the pool cause CYA to disappear so rapidly? CYA that disappeared not only last year but this year as well? I mostly understand that certain bacteria under the right conditions change the CYA, but a 40-point drop in CYA in 2-3 weeks is crazy in my mind.

All help is appreciated.

Bud
Sacramento, CA

Reactions: fishbait
Sounds to me like you got cya eating bacteria. Did you ever test for ammonia? That's the telltale sign. If it's holding chlorine the ammonia is gone now though. I would not wait for the cya to increase with tabs add it manually.

Reactions: PhillyPoolBoy
This. Is your FC holding? The bacteria or organic material (possibly ammonia) that burns up CYA usually crushes FC quickly.

I’d try to SLAM the pool until you pass an overnight loss test and then get the CYA back to appropriate levels. I’d also consider checking around corners, crevices etc behind ladders where some kind of growth can take hold. I’d clean the filter as best as possible as well.

Thank you for the replies. I had no idea that TFP had a wiki link. What a treasure trove of information. Great stuff on Ammonia.

In regards to FC, it's holding steady now. It seems that once the bacteria (if that is indeed the problem) begin their end cycle, the FC recovers rather quickly, leaving only the abnormally low CYA in its wake.
Also, I'll consider the stabilizer to get everything in balance, up and running.

Thank you again.

Bud

Happens to me every. single. year. When I open, 0 CYA. Mesh cover. Just one of the joys of SE Pennsylvania I guess.
I’m in bucks county. Had the problem bad last year but not so much this year. I just opened a few days ago, CYA was undetectable but the chlorine held no problem. When I opened in 2021, my chlorine would vanish almost immediately. Took me a total of like 12 gallons 12.5% to get it to start holding.

Further reading for you:

This helped me solve my issues last season at opening when every local pool professional was stumped. You’d be surprised how many never heard of the winterizing/ammonia connection.

The only thing about that ammonia wiki that Id add is that cleaning the filter before starting the process is a must. I believe if that bacteria gets into the filter, it’s get a little harder to get rid of. At opening I suck out all the skimmers and all the drain lines to waste, vacuum all the debris to waste, clean the grids of my DE filter and then start the process.

I usually slam a day or two before closing, once the FC drops slightly, I add some Polysquat 60. The first and second year of opening the pool, I opened to CYA of 0 and Ammonia in the water, but hasn't happened since. It also depends on your cover for the winter if you have to close your pool. You probably don't even need the Polysquat 60 if you perform a slam a couple of days prior to rule out anything and would insure you have enough FC during the winter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The bacteria is killed by chlorine. Your filter is bathed in

I can’t argue with that fact. But I still feel like I had an easier time by cleaning the filter first. The less debris and waste there is coming in contact with the chlorinated water, the more free chlorine there will be to do wait you need it to do, whether it’s kill bacteria or react with any ammonia.

Well, my filter is overdue for cleaning, bacteria or not. Speaking of, has anyone isolated or discovered what bacteria (single or multiple) is eating up the CYA and causing it to vary so wildly?

Bud
Yes. They’ve tried to market it as a CYA reducer with minimal success.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.