CYA Dipped - FC solid - Algae set in

May 1, 2013
Have been testing chlorine regularly and generator has been producing like it should and FC has stayed around 3-5ppm consistently. We are having some very hot days in Kansas City right now so we were paying extra attention to the pool. My wife tested Cya and it had dipped to 30. Way out of range. I didn't know it could change rapidly. I don't test it as often because of the reagent that is required (But I ordered a 12oz bottle and will change my ways). So, we got in some Cya quickly after seeing the decline and by putting it in front of the return jets it quickly dissolved into the pool. The rate at which it dissolved was crazy compared to putting it in the skimmer basket. This morning it appeared algae was setting in so we proactively put 4 gallons of bleach in. I don't have any reagent to test Cya right now but am assuming it is up near 60 after adding yesterday. My question is, if we have had consistent FC levels can algae still come one? I know Cya protects chlorine but does it also inhibit its abilities at certain levels? Just puzzled that algae could come about when FC never dipped below acceptable levels. Thank you for the help.

Sadly you added the CYA before you SLAM'd. But that is what you need. If your CYA is 60 your shock level is now 24 FC. So start the process.
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Be sure you keep at shock level or above until you have crystal clear water then test for cc less than 0.5 and do an OCLT for a FC drop of less than 1ppm

Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Once you are done with the SLAM - follow the Chlorine/CYA chart for FC. Your past 3-5 ppm is on the low side for any CYA above 40.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.