CYA depletion rate in covered salt water hot tub????

duganderson

Jan 26, 2021
Minneapolis
Curious if there is an estimate of the depletion rate of CYA in a covered hot tub with limited splash out? I run about 102 degrees and use a SWG with supplemental liquid chlorine deletions after use.

I've heard that salt water tubs can deplete CYA faster too but I don't know if that's true?

Thanks! Doug

It is the heat, not the salt water, that causes CYA degradation.

High water temperatures will cause the chlorine to oxidize Cyanuric Acid. This tends to show in water temperatures of 90+ degrees. Every 10F increase in temperature results in roughly doubling the rate of degradation.

I find that I must use a little dichlor about once every week or so instead of liquid chlorine after a soak to replenish my cya. I run my tub around 104 degrees so my cya degradation may be a scootch higher than yours. If we have hot/sunny weather my tub has reached 107- 108 if I forget to turn it down in advance so this really increases the rate of degradation as well.

I made the mistake early on of not checking cya frequently enough & it fell to non existent levels all the while I was chlorinating the same as if I had 20-30ppm cya. I have a small tub so I often raise to slam level after a long soak so my swg is just the standby fc maintainer.
This frequent elevated fc/low cya condition resulted in a rust spot on the “stainless” ring of one of my jets. I assume the ring just isn’t that great of quality to begin with or perhaps there was an imperfection but nevertheless it served as a warning to pay more attention to my cya level to moderate the harshness of necessary fc levels on my equipment & surfaces.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.