Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello. New here and I’ve learned so much already. Starting with my list of questions and here is my first one...

After having my CYA level above 100 I drained my pool and refilled it. It’s not 0-30 since I don’t know how to tell the difference in that range. I’m trying to figure out my next steps but freaking out a bit to do things quickly so I don’t end up with a messy situation overnight.

How long can my pool remain without CYA levels being super low? Or only downside is basically need for constant chlorination due to super low CYA levels? I’m considering using the pucks to add CYA back but Pool math says 4lbs of it and dissolving that much seems like it would take days...?

Also, according to the chart here, SWG pools should have about 70 CYA at a minimum which equates to 8 for chlorine. I though anything above 5-6 was unsafe, especially for a baby that I have. What am I missing?

I appreciate your help.

Your FC level is safe for swimming as long as you stay below the SLAM range on the FC/CYA Levels for your CYA level. A pool with no CYA is going to be more harsh on your skin that one with some.

Yes if your CYA is low it will burn off FC that much faster. Yes, pucks will take longer to get the CYA up and if you do that you should follow the chart while that is happening. I'm curious... you have a SWG, why are you fussing with pucks? are they left over from your pre SWG days.

Interesting... thank you for the explanation. That chart is what I was getting my information from.

you have a SWG, why are you fussing with pucks? are they left over from your pre SWG days.
Just to address your question, I have used them before to boost so I felt it’s something I’m familiar with an a rather safer option compared a new chemical I’ve never used. SWG doesn’t help with CYA, I thought? This was for CYA. I Ended up getting professional help to set the chemical levels right so it’s off to a good start.

Just to address your question, I have used them before to boost so I felt it’s something I’m familiar with an a rather safer option compared a new chemical I’ve never used. SWG doesn’t help with CYA, I thought? This was for CYA. I Ended up getting professional help to set the chemical levels right so it’s off to a good start.
Hope you your pool chemistry sorted out soon. Here is some free professional help: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry - Trouble Free Pool Good Luck!!

Ah.. ok... They are really the same chemicals just in a different wrapper. With a SWG, just use straight CYA.. its easier and faster to get into solution than using pucks. If you have a SWG the only reason I can think of to use pucks is to...ummm.. well.. I can't think of a reason. Unless you have a bunch left over.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.