NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So I’ve been using my test kit all summer and love it. I’ve told my sister in law about it and she bought one too. I was there tonight to walk her through it however the label on the CYA test bottle you fill is in the middle of her bottle and mine is at the very top of my bottle.
Does this effect the test at all since you are relying on the location of the label to fill the pool water up to as well as the reagent. Or does it not matter how much pool water is used it’s the amount of reagent that is vital and since ur filling the reagent up to take up the volume of the label it doesn’t matter.
Thanks as I want to make sure we add the right amount of cya.

For the CYA test, an equal amount of pool water and R0013 reagent is used. The mix bottle is labeled for either using the small view tube in the TFPro, or the larger view tube in the TF100.

I use my vial to measure out 10 mL of pool water and 10 mL of reagent (instead of 15 mL each), use the Speed Stir to mix, then pour it in the bottle. The 20 mL sample will get you results down to 30 ppm and you use 1/3 less reagent.

Here is a photo of mine. I just measured and it is about 15 ml of pool water to about 15 ml of reagent. It looked like the same kit as mine I didn’t notice the view tube being smaller. How would this effect the results. So it probably was only 10 ml pool water to 15 ml reagent. It’s a beach house so they won’t be there until the weekend. It read between 30-20 for cya.
Her pool is only 5,000 gallons and we added 64 fluid ounces of liquid stabilizer which would raise the CYA 37. Ideally if the kit was labeled correctly she would have a cya at about 60-70. Did we overshoot the cya with the 10ml pool water to 15 ml reagent or hopefully we undershot it. Anyone have an idea? FYI it’s a saltwater pool we r keeping fc at 7.

Attachments

• C2895610-EEF4-4A34-8253-FE33D0E34D50.jpeg
    C2895610-EEF4-4A34-8253-FE33D0E34D50.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Okay so you have the old TF kit bottle. The one that comes with the Pro kit (and maybe the regular now?) has extra markings that allow you fill it either half way for the new small view tube, or all the way for the larger tube that allows measuring down to 20 ppm.

I’m away from my kit now but if I remember correctly there is a 7.5 mL mark and a 15 mL mark. The 15 mL mark is halfway. You either fill with pool water to 7.5 and then reagent to 15, or fill with pool water to 15 and the rest of the way with reagent, depending on how much final solution you want based on which view tube you are using.

So I bought my kit in April/may and she just bought her kit in August. Did they change the directions at all? I didn’t notice additional markings just that the label was lower than I remember on my kit. Could the bottle be bigger hence label lower? Anyone have the new kit with photo of the bottle and tube they can post?

Last edited:
I have the old TFT kit mixing bottle. My label was applied significantly askew and was always a bit of a problem to fill accurately as a result. This spring I found the new small view tube (figured to save a bunch on reagent) on their website and immediately got one with my refill kit. I didn't notice the new mixing bottle, though. I'll have to get one on my next refill order for next year.

In the meantime, I have been using a large veterinary syringe to fill my test tube with 5 ml pool water and 5 ml reagent. Speed stir, pour into the "mini" tube, and read my CYA. It ain't 7.5 and 15 ml, respectively, but it's 50/50! (y) :)

For anyone interested, the syringe is what we use to orally administer meds to our horses. You can get it at Tractor Supply or any farm/feed store. It costs about 3 bucks and is all plastic-no glass. It has an opening at the end to expel liquid, but no needle. Comes complete with it's own storage tube. I use a 60ml one which allows me to run all my tests just by filling it from the pool and taking it to the basement where my "chemistry set" lives.

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
So my sister in law was back down the shore today and took photos of the instructions and the bottle. The bottle is the same as mine with the same exact instructions. Only difference is the label is in the middle of the bottle. So is this a mistake and they put the label on wrong?

This is my bottle vs hers

Attachments

• 67BC159D-C31F-43CE-B534-2E01AB6A68BE.jpeg
    67BC159D-C31F-43CE-B534-2E01AB6A68BE.jpeg
    426.8 KB · Views: 25
  • E2045FEC-D0E6-4382-B4A4-223BC181B88E.jpeg
    E2045FEC-D0E6-4382-B4A4-223BC181B88E.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 25

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How would it effect the test? With mixing more reagent to less pool water did it over estimate the cya or underestimate it. So if I did the test and it came out to be a cya of 30 do u feel like it was actually less than that?

thanks.

Her pool is only 5,000 gallons and we added 64 fluid ounces of liquid stabilizer which would raise the CYA 37.
Nice story but it's very hard to get the proper CYA by using less then a full gallon at a time. The liquid usually has the product sludge at bottom and is difficult to get all out when the complete contents aren't used thereby not giving you the desired CYA being looked for. Best is the granular via sock method hanging in front of a pool return.

How would it effect the test? With mixing more reagent to less pool water did it over estimate the cya or underestimate it. So if I did the test and it came out to be a cya of 30 do u feel like it was actually less than that?

thanks.
my GUESS is that cya would be overestimated. just redo the test the right way. add 15ml water to the bottle and mark the label so you know for next time.

So I wasn’t there to do it but she did it herself the next time she was there. It was only at a 50 so it was underestimated thankfully.

FWIW my label always moved around. It never fell off but it would slide around completely when wet. Dip it in the water and see if it slides back to where it should be. (Top edge of the bottle to the top edge of the sticker)

The correct mixing ratio is 1:1 but the test is not affected if it’s off. The R-0013 adds melamine and pH adjusters well in excess of what is needed for the reactions to occur (melamine reacts with CYA to form the particulates). So there is no issue from a chemistry standpoint if the label is off. As long as you get roughly close to 1:1 mixing, the test is unaffected.

The correct mixing ratio is 1:1 but the test is not affected if it’s off. The R-0013 adds melamine and pH adjusters well in excess of what is needed for the reactions to occur (melamine reacts with CYA to form the particulates). So there is no issue from a chemistry standpoint if the label is off. As long as you get roughly close to 1:1 mixing, the test is unaffected.
Great to know!

Reactions: pookiesunshine
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.