3kidsAndAPool

Apr 17, 2021
Kentucky
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey guys! I’m at a loss here and was hoping you all could help. I’ve been trying this LC method for 2 years now and I can’t seem to get it right. Last year, I kept my cya between 30-40 and went through gallons and gallons of LC weekly because it dropped so much during the day. This year I have upped my cya to 50 and still can’t seem to maintain my fc. This year, after adding enough stabilizer to get my cya to 30-40, I began using pucks in the chlorinator and then adding LC in the evening. That seemed to keep everything stable and I was only losing about 1.5-2 ppm a day in fc. A couple of days ago, when cya reached 50, I stopped using pucks and I’m only using LC and it’s back to losing 3-5ppm a day in fc. Last night it was at 8ppm and this morning I’ve already lost 2 ppm. I am in direct sunlight all day long, until 6:30-7pm. Water is crystal clear. So my question is, should I up my cya to 60??? I’m scared to do so in case I get algae and have to slam, but I just don’t know what else to do. I don’t want to give up on this method!! After testing this morning, I’ve added enough LC to bring it back up to 8ppm and then put 2 pucks in the chlorinator 🤦🏻‍♀️

Reactions: reggiehammond
I loose 3-4 ppm FC day with 55 CYA. Pool gets full sun. Using LC and thinking about a SWG.. because if I skip a day (or forget) my FC getting to 1-2.

Have you performed an OCLT just to make sure you don't have any invisible algae growing somewhere? It wouldn't hurt to be sure.

That said, 5 ppm per day is towards the upper end of what we normally see, but it's not unreasonable.

How old are those 3 kids and how often are they in the pool? Any possibility of "accidents"?

You are a good candidate for a saltwater chlorine generator. Have you considered it?

Have you performed an OCLT just to make sure you don't have any invisible algae growing somewhere? It wouldn't hurt to be sure.

That said, 5 ppm per day is towards the upper end of what we normally see, but it's not unreasonable.

How old are those 3 kids and how often are they in the pool? Any possibility of "accidents"?

You are a good candidate for a saltwater chlorine generator. Have you considered it?
I have not performed an OCLT yet, just because the water is so clear, even at night by the light. That will be my next step once the pucks dissolve in a day or two.
My kids are 16, 19 and 24. While an “accident” is unlikely, I’m sure it is possible. I just wouldn’t think it would be enough to make that kind of difference.
My husband and I have discussed getting a SWG next season for sure!

I loose 3-4 ppm FC day with 55 CYA. Pool gets full sun. Using LC and thinking about a SWG.. because if I skip a day (or forget) my FC getting to 1-2.
We are most definitely considering a SWG for next season! I’m trying to figure out the basics before adding more things to take care of and figure out 😂 This is only our 3rd season as pool owners so I’m still a newbie!

A SWG will likely save you money in the long run. Take whatever you spend per year on chlorine and multiply that by 6 (you should get at least 6 years out of one, maybe more). Don't forget that chlorine isn't likely to get any cheaper.

The upfront cost for an SWG would be in the neighborhood of $2000. About half of that would be one time costs (power center, electrical installation, 20 bags of salt). Beyond that, every 6 or 7 years you might have to replace the cell. That's about $900 right now.

Besides adding and measuring salt, there's really nothing to it beyond what you're already doing today. And it's so nice to go on vacation for a couple of weeks and know that you'll come home to the pool looking just like it did when you left.

Reactions: zrtman
A SWG will likely save you money in the long run. Take whatever you spend per year on chlorine and multiply that by 6 (you should get at least 6 years out of one, maybe more). Don't forget that chlorine isn't likely to get any cheaper.

The upfront cost for an SWG would be in the neighborhood of $2000. About half of that would be one time costs (power center, electrical installation, 20 bags of salt). Beyond that, every 6 or 7 years you might have to replace the cell. That's about $900 right now.

Besides adding and measuring salt, there's really nothing to it beyond what you're already doing today. And it's so nice to go on vacation for a couple of weeks and know that you'll come home to the pool looking just like it did when you left.
It is something we have talked about doing since last season. I’m getting to where I can’t fully enjoy the pool because I’m so worried about the fc dropping below minimum and getting algae. So I’m out testing every 2-3 hours. The same thing happened last year as well. It seemed as though all i did last season was test fc and SLAM. It seems like no matter what I do, this dang pool won’t hold fc very well.

Reactions: Jsf721

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just run at the high end of the range for your CYA. Your target is 6-8. Run it at 9-10. You won’t notice a thing. At 10, if you lose 5, you are still above min of 4. I run mine 2 over max recommended range. Will take most of the worry away.

Reactions: jmb and Jim365
Just run at the high end of the range for your CYA. Your target is 6-8. Run it at 9-10. You won’t notice a thing. At 10, if you lose 5, you are still above min of 4. I run mine 2 over max recommended range. Will take most of the worry away.
+1 for going 1 or 2 ppm over high range. May target is 7-9, but I raise to 11 each night. Even if I lose 5 I’m still above minimum. And, algae doesn’t stand a chance.

I will definitely give that a try and see how it goes!!

Reactions: jmb
FWIW. In AZ. My cya is 50 and I loose 0ppm overnight but 6ppm during the day. Seems my pool use to have a salt cell. Will post a thread to get help to see if I can get it going again. Also gonna up my cya to about 65, by use of pucks first as I’m going on vacation for a week soon otherwise I’ll add stabilizer when I get back to get it moving quicker. I do have a big full bucket of pucks so may just use them till the cya does come up. and see if that daytime ppm loss goes down.

Reactions: 3kidsAndAPool
@3kidsAndAPool i was curious if you ever did that OCLT or came to any other resolutions with your chlorine loss issue?
I did do the OCLT test a few days ago and there was no loss! BUT, just brought it up to SLAM level bc I noticed it was slightly cloudy tonight by the light 😕 It does seem that I average a loss of 3.5-4.5ppm a day though. Yesterday it was cloudy outside all day and I only lost about 1.5ppm during the day, but tonight the water was cloudy..Seems like I can’t win some days 🤷🏻‍♀️

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.