CYA Assistance

You’re still pretty high with a CYA of 90 (round up from 85). I would get it down to at least 70 if you plan to use liquid chlorine going forward. If you plan to use tablets, I would get it down to 40 because you’ll be ping-ponging between 40/50 and 70/80 as the tablets increase CYA and you drain to lower it.

That's great! Don't be intimidated by the CYA test, it's really easy once you get the hang of it and your first few results are way better than you may think. This may not make sense until you get the kit but here's some great advice I got that made it much easier:
  • Do the test outside with your back to the sun
  • Don't stare down at the dot in the tube look away then at the dot, add mixture look again... repeat till the dot disappears
  • There are videos online for the test procedures
I hope this helps.

Chris
Also— The CYA test is subjective, and it’s not like the others which have very high precision. To that end, if you feel like you want to check whether you actually saw that dot disappear when you thought you did, just pour the solution out of the test tube back into the mixing bottle... no need to start over & waste reagent mixing up all new solution, so long as you mixed it according to instructions in the first place. (Speaking of not wasting reagents— follow the instructions which give you results in increments of 0.5 ... using the instructions for the 0.2 increments isn’t necessary & won‘t gain you anything, but it will use up your reagents much faster)
Additionally, the best thing to do is to begin your full panel of testing starting with the CYA test. Mix together the pool water & reagent, then set that little bottle aside & continue on with the rest of the tests. After doing all the other tests, come back to the CYA test. Give the little bottle a shake, and then continue on with the test as the instructions state.

The most important thing you need to remember is to be as consistent as possible in your procedure. (This is a big reason pool store test results are often wrong, or seem to jump wildly— how can the testing procedure be consistent, when you’ve got teenaged employees who would rather be anywhere else doing tests that they don’t even understand & each doing them a little different than their buddy.) *I* like to hold the test in my shadow, or stand in the shadow of a tree or patio, at about the same time of day.

I also find it helpful to not concentrate intently on the dot at the bottom— I basically look at the tip of the dropper bottle as I add each drop, slowly & deliberately, then look back inside the tube to determine if the dot is still visible or not. This method seems to help minimize the optical illusion that most people experience where you seem to see just a hint of the dot no matter how opaque the mixed solution or how full you make the tube. The more you focus on that dot, the longer you seem to see it.... so allowing your focus to shift just a bit between drops helps you find the endpoint better.

You’re gonna love being able to do your own complete testing. It’s great to be able to know exactly what’s going on with your pool at any given time— no more do you need to find time to take a sample to the pool store. From now on the only reason to go to the pool store will be to buy new equipment, pick up liquid chlorine (for some it’s cheaper & more convenient, esp now with bleach purchases being limited b/c of Covid), or shop for new toys.

The most exciting side effect of doing your own testing, is the clean, *~sparkly~*, crystal clear water you’ll have because you’ll be taking care of your pool instead of chasing your tail, dumping bottle after bottle of whatever unnecessary potion they tell you to buy. It’s truly amazing: even if you think your water is clean and clear already.... that sparkle will wow you! No one ever comes back here to say they regret buying the test kit. But countless people come around to say they love how beautiful their water is, and they wish they’d known about the “BBB method“ hundreds or even thousands of dollars ago.

Checking in, couple questions on the test kit...pool is coming back at 70 CYA after some rain - two more days of rain so I’ll see where I’m at after that. I have a separate hot tub, and for some reason when I check the alkalinity I’m getting a yellow color. It was fine the other day. PH is 7.5.

If it turns yellow after adding the R0008, your TA is Zero.

If it turns yellow after adding the R0008, your TA is Zero.
Interesting...alkalinity was fine the other day at 100ppm but I added 2oz dry acid to reach the 7.5pH. Could that kill the alkalinity like that?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.