cya and swg

Your signature does not show a SWCG? Do you have one?

The CYA range for pools with a SWCG is 60-90. In your climate, 60 or 70 ppm should work fine, IF you have a SWCG.

Great. So, is your water clear? No loss of FC overnight?
If so, time to switch to maintenance. Add enough CYA to get to 70ppm in the pool water. Adjust your FC target to that shown in FC/CYA Levels and make sure our SWCG is generating enough FC each day to keep it at or above the target FC.

Recommended Levels

I was maintaining cya of 30. Maybe thats why I had cloudy water yesterday. I am in the 2nd day of slamming the pool. I had an overnight drop of 3ppm. So my plan is to slam until done, then restart the swg and then increase cya to 70. Thing is if you look at the chart to slam the levels for cya called for a swg are out of the range for slamming a pool. What do you do if the cya is 70 and you have to slam? Why is the cya so high for a swg? Thanks.

What do you do if the cya is 70 and you have to slam? Why is the cya so high for a swg? Thanks.
If you are following the SLAM Process, by definition, you are not using your SWCG, so the FC/CYA chart you follow is for Liquid Chlorine.

The CYA is higher for a SWCG as that device adds the chlorine slowly over a long period. The higher CYA protects the FC better from the sun when it is being added in that way.

How fast can I add the cya. I have to add 7 lbs of the granular cya. I have done the sock method in the past, took a whole day or more. I also put it in a knee hi nylon, maybe a little faster. When I used hth pods, the sack disintegrated real fast, maybe 20 minutes, and all the cya was in. Right now I put about 2 lbs in a skimmer sock and put the pump on 3000 rpm. I also put the filter on recirculate so as to not trap any in the filter medium. What do you think?

The sock and knee hi's are the best imo, I add to knee hi and put it in front of return after about 30 min, i can squeeze it all out in about 10-15 min

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.