CYA and Shock

SuzyB

May 11, 2021
Arkansas
Opened our pool a week ago. I have been shocking pool for a week with liquid chlorine and vacuumed to waste the dead algae on the bottom and sides of the pool. It went from green to blue but very cloudy. Tested the water and CYA was 24, FC was 0.9 (I have the Taylor 2006 test kit). Pool store told me to add stabilizer first and then shock again. I added liquid CYA slowly in the skimmer (according to the directions). Now I’m reading I should have shocked it again before adding CYA. Not sure how long to wait now to add chlorine again I.

What are your Taylor kit results? 24 cya and .9 chlorine must have come from the pool store.

You want to follow the SLAM Process after you get a full reading with your taylor kit.

Ideally, to SLAM, cya at 30 would be great because you won't need to maintain FC as high. How much liquid CYA did you add? How many gallons is your pool? It will be helpful if you update your signature with your pool information and equipment.

Reactions: splashpad
Hello!
Opened our pool a week ago. I have been shocking pool for a week with liquid chlorine and vacuumed to waste the dead algae on the bottom and sides of the pool...

How much chlorine were you adding, were you testing before or after additions? (in addition to the other questions asked)

Welcome to TFP!

Short of getting real lucky, you're unlikely to rid your pool of algae relying on pool store advice. No worries, we can help.

Ideally, your CYA should be at 30 ppm during a SLAM. It will still work at higher CYA levels, it just requires maintaining a higher FC level.

Post a full set of test results. Best to to use your Taylor kit. We can help you get through it. As mentioned, you'll need to follow the SLAM Process.

If you haven't already, spend a bit of time in Pool School. Here's some light reading to get you started.

Reactions: AK-
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.