CYA and FC trade off in the TEXAS SUMMER HEAT

Kobiano

Apr 25, 2022
Dallas
My CYA is 40, and my pool water is pristine and clear. However, I find it irritating that after shocking my pool to levels of 10 FC, after 1 day of Texas Summer Sun, my FC drops drastically to 3 or so. Does anyone else have this problem in Texas? If so, would you recommend increasing CYA to say 50? Curious to what everyone's CYA level is in Texas..

Thanks in Advance for any input!

Can't answer with my own experience as I'm on the north side of the country, but raising to 50ppm would be perfectly fine. Just keep your FC higher to boot, but it will offer more protection from the sun.

You don't need to "shock" your pool, though. If you have problems with cloudiness/algae showing/etc. you should follow the SLAM Process. Doing that before raising CYA is definitely recommended. If you are just raising it to raise it high periodically, know that it's not necessary to do so if your FC doesn't fall below the minimum on the FC/CYA Levels. Raising it that high is just going to lead to wasted chlorine. :)

I would first suggest running an overnight loss test, just to make SURE it's the sun before you increase CYA. Increasing CYA when you have active algae is a costly mistake. It will take so much more chlorine to get rid of it.
You should do this with your own test kit, not pool store OR STRIPS. Not sure how you are testing.

I'm in central Arkanasas, similar weather I would assume to you. I had to increase my CYA to 60 in order to keep up with it the last two years... my pool is in direct sun the entire day and the UV index is nearly always "Extreme"..
Don't go there all at once. Increase by 10ppm until it's acceptable...but, you will always be losing 3-4ppm in the daytime in that climate in my experience.
A salt water generator is the way to go in my opinion.

Reactions: reggiehammond
I have as much direct sun as you can possibly get at my pool in SC. My CYA is 40 and I usually see 3 ppm FC loss on a sunny day. 7 ppm loss indicates a problem.
I figured it out.... Got my CYA tested from multiple sources and it was reading 24....turns out that I forgot to factor in 3 rounds (about once a week since my CYA reading of 40) of Texas thunderstorms that dropped many inches of rain. No wonder my FC was dropping quicker than anticipated in the Texas heat.

FC drop test at night was good, no drop in FC. Pool is as clear as it can get and I've already shocked it just to be safe.

I'll join in that scold. Our advice centers around your own good testing.

You should not have a 7 ppm daily loss of FC even if your CYA is less than 40. Secondly, rainwater is not relevant to CYA loss unless your pool overflows.

I think you still have an algae problem

I'll join in that scold. Our advice centers around your own good testing.

You should not have a 7 ppm daily loss of FC even if your CYA is less than 40. Secondly, rainwater is not relevant to CYA loss unless your pool overflows.

I think you still have an algae problem
Fair points....but my overnight FC loss test passed with flying colors....if I did have an algae problem...wouldn't it had dropped overnight? It passed back to back nights...also, my pool would never flood, I have a drain built in to prevent flooding....

Fair points....but my overnight FC loss test passed with flying colors....if I did have an algae problem...wouldn't it had dropped overnight? It passed back to back nights...also, my pool would never flood, I have a drain built in to prevent flooding....
Can’t answer your questions because we don’t know how you’re testing and with what…

Bad testing often leads to bad results.

If your pool overflows, and by that we mean simply replaces pool water with rain water, then yes, your chemistry will change.

Can’t answer your questions because we don’t know how you’re testing and with what…

Bad testing often leads to bad results.

If your pool overflows, and by that we mean simply replaces pool water with rain water, then yes, your chemistry will change.
Testing via Taylor test kit, aquacheck 7 test strips, and finally....I went to get confirmation at the local pool store and at 2 Leslie locations near my house....

And yes...I'm pretty sure my pool chemistry change based on the amount of rainfall we've gotten ... 6-8 inches accumulation each time.

I still point back to my 0 FC overnight loss 2 nights in a row...and yes, I used the little drops from Taylor....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Excellent! Don’t bother with the other testing methods and trust your kit.

If you’re not losing overnight but losing excessively during the day, then go ahead and up your CYA. Just be sure you keep FC in range for the new target. :)

Reactions: lanikaigirl
Testing via Taylor test kit, aquacheck 7 test strips, and finally....I went to get confirmation at the local pool store and at 2 Leslie locations near my house.
Would you ever cheat off the dumbest kid in class because he gets it right sometimes ? (Pool store). Of course you wouldn't. You'd take your chances with your 94% average and if you were a little off, you still did great.

Or even worse by cheating off the kid who is taking the class for the 3rd time. (Test strips)

Reactions: lanikaigirl
Would you ever cheat off the dumbest kid in class because he gets it right sometimes ? (Pool store). Of course you wouldn't. You'd take your chances with your 94% average and if you were a little off, you still did great.

Or even worse by cheating off the kid who is taking the class for the 3rd time. (Test strips)
This made me laugh 🤣.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Reactions: newdude
Also...I found this thread from last summer discussing the very same conerns that I had about high FC burn off due to low CYA....

It seems like the conclusion there is to set CYA around 50.....and here my CYA was under 25....so it wasn't a reach to say that my FC burn off was higher than the usual.

My CYA is 40, and my pool water is pristine and clear. However, I find it irritating that after shocking my pool to levels of 10 FC, after 1 day of Texas Summer Sun, my FC drops drastically to 3 or so. Does anyone else have this problem in Texas? If so, would you recommend increasing CYA to say 50? Curious to what everyone's CYA level is in Texas..

Thanks in Advance for any input!
Im at 50 and lost 2.5 during yesterday's "extreme UV". Once I solve my other problem I will probably bump mine to 60. I dont want to be out here every 24hours adding stuff.

I also did overnight chlorine tests and no problems so Im certain its not algae. One thing you might want to do is make sure if you have a variable speed pump add near a return with a high cycle and try to add liquid chlorine after sun down.

Reactions: Kobiano
Im at 50 and lost 2.5 during yesterday's "extreme UV". Once I solve my other problem I will probably bump mine to 60. I dont want to be out here every 24hours adding stuff.

I also did overnight chlorine tests and no problems so Im certain its not algae. One thing you might want to do is make sure if you have a variable speed pump add near a return with a high cycle and try to add liquid chlorine after sun down.
Thanks for the feedback Mike....your results give me HOPE!

Just to weigh in as a DFW resident:

In May, I was losing about 3ppm daily with my CYA at 40.

As the June drought with 100+ daily temps began, I bumped my CYA up to 50. I now consume about 3-4ppm daily. I do also get direct sunlight the entire day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.