CYA always at Zero!

Aug 27, 2016
Duncanville, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am currently in SLAM mode and this is killing me. My CYA is always at zero. I have battled CYA for two years and can never get it up. I've tried both methods and nothing works. Now I am in SLAM and struggling to keep the levels up during the day is impossible because I am at work. I am going through 6 gallons of bleach a day. To give myself credit I have only been at the SLAM for about 5 or 6 days and I know it takes a long time for the cloudiness to go away. I also put 3 chlorotabs in the dispenser to hopefully get some CYA in the pool.

My questions are: Should I be concerned about the CYA right now? Should I be a little more patient and try to stay on top of things by the hour this weekend? How many days after putting in the chlorotabs should I wait before testing the CYA?

FC 5.5 ( I just added enough bleach to get it back up to 10 for SLAM)
CC (I didn't test because I already know there is some!)
Ph (I didn't test because I thought the high chlorine levels make the Ph high anyways)

are you doing the cya test correctly
fill sample bottle to first line with pool water
then fill to 2nd line with reagent 13
shake sample and allow to warm to room temp if necessary
after 30 seconds, with back to sun and sample tube at waist level
fill to 100 and have a glance
fill to 90 and have a glance
etc
stop when you cannot see the black dot
pour sample back into sample bottle and repeat test until you are confident

How are you adding CYA?
Depending on the circumstance, if you keep tablets in the pool regularly the CYA will be consistently measurable, but if not, you’ll need to add the powder in rather hefty doses (2-5 lbs) to get from say ‘0’ zero to ‘60-80’. With the tablets they don’t dissolve Quickly in winter, but CYA & Ch demand is lower, and conversely summer heat = quicker tablet dissolve so higher CYA and higher Ch demand.

The SLAM process calls for around 30 ppm CYA, if your pool has none, I suggest you stop the SLAM and work on CYA before starting again.

Your CYA will come up......I think you may not understand that you have to add it independently of the other chems. "Chloro tabs" are not going to get your CYA where it needs to be. You must add it as a separate item.

After you get your CYA to 30 ppm, then start your SLAM again........testing carefully and following the SLAM process exactly.

Yep, still zero. I am doing the sock method again. Guess I'll wait and see what happens. How many days after completing the sock method can I retest?

How much stabilizer are you adding? Did you use PoolMath to calculate the amount needed for CYA 30?

Give it 48 hours to dissolve and circulate.

Today my CYA is up to 40! I can't believe it. So, because the CYA was at zero we were losing more chlorine? So, I wasted ALOT of money?!

After coming home from work:
FC 6.5
CC 1.5
CYA 40

I am about to continue with SLAM now.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.