CYA 95 Drain and Fill

May 24, 2010
Southern NJ
I just did a 3/4 drain and fill after finding out that I had a cya of 95. Here are my numbers after filling my pool with our well. I did add some chlorine right after filling. What should I work on first and then second and so forth.

FC 5
CH 175
TA 60
PH 7.2
CYA 30

I thought the CH and TA were off a little. As compared to the chart.
A little low.

I'm just of the opinion that more mixing is needed after that much water replacement before jumping back on the test result merry-go-round, endlessly chasing results around and around.

Swimmers will mix the water. Swimmers will also aerate and drive the pH up.

I suspect from looking through your post history and results that you have a fair amount of CH in your refill water, so CH will go up without any effort on your part but topping off after evaporation. If you are worried, you could add Calcium Chloride or just chlorinate with Cal-hypo for a few weeks.

If you start raising TA, you'll just cause pH to rise faster, which will get you on the acid/baking soda roller coaster.

If it's not clear enough to tell if a quarter is heads or tails in the deep end and/or you fail an OCLT you should SLAM it.

Post a picture and some test results!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.