CYA 20 (First Time It’s Ever Been Low)

Mojalina

Apr 13, 2019
Dallas, Texas!
My CYA was 20 when testing my pool yesterday. I’ve been keeping everything balanced only needing bleach and muriatic acid for a while, but I’m a little new and this is the first time it’s happened. I have read the suggested links/articles, but after cruising the forum threads I see there’s more than one way to skin a cat, so I wanted to reach out for the best solution.

FC 1.5
CH 550
pH 7.8
TA 80
CYA 20

15,000 gallons
Chlorine Pool
Pentair Intelliflo VSD

Welcome to the forum!
Get your FC up to at least 3 ppm. I would suggest getting 20 ppm CYA in the pool using the sock method. Follow the target level for FC based on the FC/CYA Levels.

Please fill out your signature with your pool type, volume, equipment, etc.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Welcome to TFP.

What was the water temperature when you did the CYA test? You should let the water warm up to room temperature if it is cold before you test it.

If you do not have a SWG then your CYA target should be 30-40. So you are not that low. CYA tests can vary by 10. So retest again to confirm.

If you are still low then use PoolMath to determine how much stabilizer you need to add. Use the sock method to add the stabilizer. Put the stabilizer in an old sock and dangle it by a return or put it in the skimmer (make sure it doesn't block the water flow0. Squeeze the sock every once in a while.

Be sure to test CYA again making sure water is at room temp. If still low add CYA using sock method in 10 ppm applications as calculated using pool math to reach your goal of 30 to 40 ppm. Use can also use Trichlor tabs to raise your CYA and add FC but again use pool math to calculate how many you will need. Same result just different methods to get there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.