Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Hi all,

I’ve been reading lots of posts in the forum and the info has been very helpful- thank you!
It was here that I saw the idea to use XPS under our pool, and to put pavers under the legs. We have worked the last several weekends on digging/leveling the ground (which is a mix of clay and small rocks) and now have the foam laid out and taped together with gorilla tape. The instructions on TFP that I originally found said to use 1.5” to 2” XPS. (I’ve since read that most people use less thickness, but that was after we already brought the XPS home). I went with 2” XPS and 2” thick 8”x 8” pavers so that we could put the pavers around/against the foam and under the legs, all on level ground. The issue now is that the 2” foam is pretty difficult to cut, so we want to cut it into a circle before having the pool set on it and filled. We’ll have the pavers on the surrounding ground so that we can make (hopefully minor!) adjustments to those as needed to make the frame level.
We have a 15’ round Intex metal frame pool. We haven’t put it together yet, but I’m guessing the 15’ is the diameter measured to the outside of the frame. We measured the base diameter of the liner (seam to seam) and it was 14’, but I don’t know what true base diameter will be when filled. We want to cut the foam to be just big enough to provide the base and accommodate the pavers without having to cut further during installation.
Does anyone have suggestions on how to go about this?

thank you!!!

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP :)

I would install the pool on top without cutting.. Then fill an inch or 2 in the bottom and adjust the legs and get all the wrinkles out... get everything set the way you want... Make sure the pavers are set where they need to be...

Then, using a reciprocating saw with a 6 inch metal blade, carefully cut that 2 inch foam like butter... Take your time and cut exactly where you want it... :)

You can also set up the horizontal bars and place them on top of the foam to give you an idea of where to cut and where the pavers should go.

Thank you both for the suggestions! We are setting up the frame now to see where we are with things. We don’t have a reciprocating saw, but will look into it! Thanks again :)

Also when assembled but empty its not terribly hard to move the pool with 2 or 3 people (kids can help!) so u could kinda do a dry fit, mark, & then move the pool to cut your foam exactly.

Reactions: kellyfair
I'm thinking of doing the same. Please post pictures if you can. Thanks.
We spent a long time (several weekends) getting the ground level and thought it looked level based on using an 8’ 2x4 with a level attached, run in a circle from the center. We put the foam (cut into a circle of 14’8” diameter for 15’ frame), then set up the pool on it and then put pavers under the legs and cut foam more as needed to get the pavers securely under the legs. It was challenging to get the pool aligned just right on the foam doing it this way. It was also hard to get the pavers in just the right spots against the foam. We started filling and realized we were 2.25” off level so are now draining and will level ground some more and start again. I learned that we need to also make sure the pavers are all level to one another before setting up pool for filling. I’m going to try to use the water in a tube method for this. At least now we have the foam cut and know the exact paver locations. I will try to post pics of the process. This is our first time setting up an above ground pool, so not sure how helpful it will be, but at least I can tell you about the mistakes we’ve made along the way!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are going to do this. How many tiles did you need? I have 14' round and thinking we might need 60..
I think you must be thinking of the interlocking foam tiles, correct? OP is using sheets of XPS foam… much larger than tiles.

Reactions: Kooky98
I'm thinking of doing the same. Please post pictures if you can. Thanks.
Not sure if you still want pics… took us awhile to drain pool, move and do more leveling… but we set up the pool today! I’m wondering if we should’ve cut the foam more so the legs would be more centered on the pavers, but we were trying to do it so that all of the base of the pool stayed on the foam… not sure which way is best, maybe someone with experience will comment. Now we’re just hoping it will be ok like this. The pavers are on very solid ground and the pool is within an inch of level. Anyway, here are the pics!A8B97B66-D1C2-4167-947C-48413E6D36BD.jpeg24536CF7-3832-4814-A455-6E7F36766826.jpeg

Hard to tell in the second photo. Are all the feet firmly on the pavers, no hanging on edges?

As long as your surface under the pavers is solid and level, you are probably ok. Watch for cracking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.