Currently under construction

Bett6120

Oct 23, 2020
North carolina
I am having a number of problems with my PB . First the pool is on a hill but the PB built the hill up 3 additional feet, so now the pools sits on a 6 foot hill. ( Pool put in 3 weeks ago.) PB wants to slope hill an additional 12 feet into yard towards the house. I had a geoengineer who stated hill is unstable because not stamped and sloping toward house may cause foundation damage. Also stated pool is uneven unsure if shoddy workmanship or settling of ground. Another pool expert indicated pool is leaking up to 1/2 to 1 inch a day. He determined this by looking at water in corrugated pipe and the pollen line decrease around pool. He has not dived into pool to identify where leak. Expert further stated pool is not level up to 3 1/2 inches at various locations. The fiberglass has 3 scratches from 2 to 3 inches penetrating the clear coat.

In discussing the hill height the PB keeps saying it'll work out with slope.. Further PB said water in pipe was ground water so not concerned. The expert said no pool leaking. I want to dissolve the relationship with current PB because i don't trust he will correct problems. Prior to getting lawyers involved i plan to propose to PB: have another contractor fix original PB's mistakes ( estimated at $10k,) but doesn't include hill; or remove pool, equipment and restore land to original condition. I have already paid original PB $35k and owe $25k more. Does this sound reasonable?

Sorry to hear about your build problems.

What type of pool is this?

Post some pics of your situation.

Have you discussed your problems with other contractors and found folks who will take on the remedial job?

Well, first things first. Don't pay another penny until this is resolved to your complete satisfaction. The pool builder will probably threaten you with a mechanics lien - that's fine - that's what lawyers are for! An engineer's evaluation trumps the pool builder's comments, so start there.

Thanks everyone for your input. Finally PB owner came to site. He concluded that there are leaks ( another PB had pressure tested and dug up one of pipes showing a steady drip); pool is unlevel (shadow end is approximately 2 inches lower than deep end), green pool water, and proposed a fix for the 6 foot hill. He spent 40 minutes with us then another 40 minutes with the project manager. The owner proposed the following: unlevel pool-- partially drain pool, lift it up and buildup; check all pipes around pool to see which are leaking and fix any leaks; pressure test lines, dye test; six foot hill--slope consistant with rest of yard including not putting cement on one side of pool but 2 ft coping, he used another term. ( He is supposed to send pictures of this on other pools.) I think I'm good with proposed changes except they are using the same subcontractor to fix problems who created the problems. Thinking of hiring the other PB to ensure done right. Any thoughts?

Can you get the engineer to act as a sort of 3rd party inspector? Tell the PB that you will need to reduce the final payment by the amount that you're having to pay someone to watch their work. Also, they aren't done and getting paid until the engineer is happy?

Do you have building inspections where you are? While I don't love all of the permitting hoops and inspections we have here, things like this make me thankful for them. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.