Current sensing relay - step by step how to guide with pics

Mar 4, 2018
dallas
Problem - I have a VS speed pump (Pentair Intelliflo -3HP) and want to add a SWG that only turns on when the pump is on

1) I want to use my pump’s timer and thermal protection for turning pump on and off
2) I want to run pump at around 1500 rpm as that speed appears to be the lowest I can get without any vibration
3) My current electrical is two intermatic manual timers one for my booster pump and one for my pump. My Intelliflo pump is wired to the intematic timer but it is always on so the pump has electricity 24/7. However, the pump is only set to run 12 hours a day

I want to ensure the SWG doesn’t run when the pump isn’t flowing

it sounds like a current sensing relay could be a good solution but I can find step-by-step directions

another solution would be to add a separate, battery backed up timer, to turn on/off SWG (as the Intelliflo has a 96 hour battery backup). This timer solution would ensure that the two separate clocks don’t get out of synch during power outage. Anyone doing this? Recommended timer?

a third option would be to wire the SWG to the intermatic timer that the pump is on and then set the intermatic to run for 12 hours and have my Intelliflo run at the single speed of 1500 rpm

a fourth option would would be to get an easy touch system and a Pentair SWG. I just don’t like that replacement cost of the Pentair cells as they include the electronics. I was thinking of getting a PURELINE crystal pure (copy of Hayward) as the price is really compelling. Open to thoughts on PURELINE SWG.

Based on the above, is a current sensing relay a good option for me? If yes, can someone point me to a step by step guide.

Thanks

John

My setup was installed the same as yours. I moved the pump leads from the switched side of the intermetic timer to the hot side so it has continuous power. Then I wired my IC40 to the switched side. Now, I run the SWG on the timer with a 30 minute buffer or more on each side of the pump start and end time. One thing to note is that the pump will not lose its time during a power outage but the timer will. So it is important to keep the clocks synced up.

Thanks for the feedback

Yes - i could hook it up this way and put the SWG on the secondary timer - however - that timer is used for my booster pump for my Polaris 280.

I also have an aquabot axiom robot that i pulled out again for this season and am going to try to use it vs my Polaris as it appears to be needing some repairs.

I know everyone loves robots on this site, but the Polaris was so easy to use. Just leave it in the pool and empty the bag every week. My robot needs to dropped in the pool every week and then there is no daily cleaning.

But back on topic. If i continue to use my Polaris, this solution doesn’t seem to work.

John

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.