Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Why do the pool closers put the drain plugs in the pump basket instead of just putting them back in the equipment? I see this every year (I pay to close but open myself) but never understood the logic. Is it just to "entice" the homeowner to use the closing service to open? If there is no reason, I will put my plugs back in this year at closing after they leave.

PG,

I can only assume, since we don't close for the winter down here... And that is why so many pools got damaged this past winter due to power outages. :(

I suspect they are not only draining the water in the pump basket, but making sure that water can't collect in the pump basket over the winter.

Let's see what @JamesW has to say about it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Partly to show that they were removed.

Otherwise, if there is damage and the plugs are in, someone could argue that they were never removed.

It would be hard to prove that they were removed and reinstalled unless you video recorded everything.

Sometimes things take time to drain and the person might not want to wait.

Partly, it's a time issue because it takes time to reinstall the plugs.

Partly, it's probably about getting the opening job.

Partly, it’s about quality control.

Before you leave the job, you can verify that all plugs are removed, especially if you have an apprentice who was responsible for making sure that everything was drained.

If the plugs are reinstalled, you will sometimes forget if you removed and reinstalled a particular plug.

Or, the customer will come out and see the plugs in and they will call and ask why the drain plugs were not removed.

So, you explain that you remove and then reinstall them and many customers will wonder if you really removed them.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.