CSI tracking with high CYA

MBPooldiy

Jun 14, 2022
Phoenix
Hello,
I have been a TFP member for about 2 weeks and learning as quickly as possible after taking over all pool maintenance from my former pool service, in particular stopping the tabs and powdered shock and switching to LC. I will be having my high CYA addressed in about 2 weeks. Meanwhile based on some other threads I have participated in I would like to clarify how to use the Pool Math app to track my CSI in order to avoid getting any more calcium rings on my pool tile, specifically relating to TA. I know it will be easier once my CYA is within the recommended range, but currently with pH on the high side (typically 7.8 to 8.0) and very high CYA (around 200), the TA adjustment is significant. In a recent thread that I participated in, one of the experts mentioned that we should not worry about the TA adjustment because Pool Math would take care of it. I had been making the adjustment before logging the TA test result. It makes a significant difference in the CSI results which could definitely explain why I have a bad calcium ring. Here is a recent test, which I performed with the K2006 test kit. My question is what should be logged into Pool Math for TA, the as tested value or the CYA/pH adjusted value, in order to know that I am maintaining the correct CSI?

FC 3.5 (I'm increasing to 10+ due to high CYA)
CC 0
pH 7.9
TA 105 adjusted, 175 not adjusted
CH 500
CYA 195
Salt 610 (using a titration test strip)
water temperature 85
CSI .25 using TA 105
CSI .72 using TA 175

Enter the tested TA into Poolmath. Adjustment, if necessary, is done within Poolmath.

Because my TA is so high I am using the modified test explained in the K2006 test kit (I presume to conserve reagents) where the pool water sample is smaller and each drop gets multiplied by 25 instead of 10 :).
As I understand it, high CYA contributes to alkalinity making the test result higher but it's not the type of alkalinity that we care about. Therefore need the calculation to eliminate the part of the alkalinity that has no effect.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.