Temp 50
FC 15 (just finishing a slam)
CC .5
PH 7.2 before slam started
CH 250 (need to increase to 350)
TA 70
CYA 40 (swg not online yet)
Salt 2400

Playing around with the old pool math page, water temp needs to get to around 80 before CSI is in range.
Do I need not to worry about CSI due to the colder water

Do I need not to worry about CSI due to the colder water
Not really. You're in a short transition mode from winter to summer. The water temp will increase soon and so weill your pH. In fact, just let the pH rise to the upper 7s and you'll be fine.

So we are just into June and CSI is still slightly off.
Test this am
FC 7
CC 0
PH 7.2 (has been holding steady here)
CH 400
TA 60 (its dropped form 70)
CYA 60 (by July will need to be70)
Salt 3000
Temp 80
SWG is up and running
CSI -6.5
Pool math is telling me I need ph of around 7.6
My PH does not drift up very much (I still have the gallon of acid from 2 years ago)
Should I raise PH ??

If you want to raise pH, I would suggest aerating since it won't affect the other aspects of your water chemistry.
pH and TA want to be in equilibrium. With a low TA, even if you aerate, pH may tend to revert to where it wants to be (7.2 in this case...)

Raise your TA to 70 and see what happens...

Reactions: blazer58
Just my opinion, but you are in the PH range of 7, if you increase your TA to 70 - 80, your PH will rise as the CO2 gasses off. What ever you do, do not add acid if you are in the low 7 range for PH, that will only lower your PH.

If it were my pool, I probably would not add anything, but monitor the PH and only add chemicals if the PH drops further. I have learned that trying to maintain the numbers too close causes you to add too much chemicals to the water, and again, just my opinion adding less is better than adding more when it comes to chemicals. Patients is one of the virtues of pool maintenance.

Just my opinion, but you are in the PH range of 7, if you increase your TA to 70 - 80, your PH will rise as the CO2 gasses off. What ever you do, do not add acid if you are in the low 7 range for PH, that will only lower your PH.
I agree. Any pH in the 7s is just fine. There is no real reason to increase the pH.

I would also agree that the OP should not be concerned about CSI being negative, no effects on the pool or on the SWCG.

If they want to increase pH (for whatever reason), they will likely have to raise the TA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

If it were my pool, I probably would not add anything, but monitor the PH and only add chemicals if the PH drops further. I have learned that trying to maintain the numbers too close causes you to add too much chemicals to the water, and again, just my opinion adding less is better than adding more when it comes to chemicals. Patients is one of the virtues of pool maintenance.
My PH hardly ever drifts up or down, it stays right around 7.2 ( have a almost a full gallon of acid from 2 years ago)
I added Borax once last season to raise PH to 7.4
My TA also runs low
Will try and raise TA to 70 to see what happens
Thanks

With a SWG, you want to try keeping the CSI in the 0.00 to -0.30 (negative0.30) range to help minimize scaling in the SWG. A CSI of -0.65 (not -6.5 as reported) is a bit too aggresive.

If pH stays stable at 7.2 with TA 60-ish, raise TA to 80 with baking soda and see if pH raise on its own.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.