Critique this PB Quote - Thanks!

Often builders use some type of composite or plastic resin pad under the equipment that eventually breaks down.

This is what I got. 2 precast concrete squares. Roughly 4X4. One for the heater and one for the pump/filter. 7 years later they are showing signs of breaking down/crumbling in spots. But they were $100 each so they saved a bunch over having a quality poured pad. I’m undecided if I’ll just replace them once they go or put an actual pad in. I’ll be doing it myself and getting the new pad to the right height to match the plumbing may be trickier than I want to tackle.

I'm thinking of letting the PB build the pool without automation or heater, just basic and I can do the upgrades on my own later on (and maybe at a cheaper rate than the PB). Is this reasonable? That way I save some money on upgrades and wouldn't have to deal with OB altogether.

If you can afford to get the automation installed with the pool then do it then. It will be simpler, cleaner, and probably cost less then retrofitting it in later. Like I described above, most automation panels integrate the electric load center/sub panel. Automation ties into the electrical to control the devices.

It becomes more complex to tie into existing electrical work. And complexity gives more points of failure and lowers reliability. A tech geek may enjoy continuously working on the complex automation they create. Many folks just want automation to be an appliance that works reliably.

A heater can easily be installed later if properly provisioned for. The electrical for it available at the equipment pad, the space for it on the equipment pad, and the plumbing run so the heater can be connected between the filter and chlorinator/SWG.

Thanks for your response. Back to the quote, would this work? (want to make sure before I talk to the salesmen again).

Instead of the:
1. AquaRite 925
2. TriStar VS 900 Omni - which is a pump + basic automation

Replace those two with:
1. AquaPlus All-In-One Control - This will give me automation + SWG + subpanel.
2. TriStar VS Variable Speed Pool - Just the pump.

This seems to be cheaper than adding the AquaRite + the Omni.

Thoughts?

If you can afford to get the automation installed with the pool then do it then. It will be simpler, cleaner, and probably cost less then retrofitting it in later. Like I described above, most automation panels integrate the electric load center/sub panel. Automation ties into the electrical to control the devices.

It becomes more complex to tie into existing electrical work. And complexity gives more points of failure and lowers reliability. A tech geek may enjoy continuously working on the complex automation they create. Many folks just want automation to be an appliance that works reliably.

A heater can easily be installed later if properly provisioned for. The electrical for it available at the equipment pad, the space for it on the equipment pad, and the plumbing run so the heater can be connected between the filter and chlorinator/SWG.

Omni is more then you need for your simple pool. Aquaplus and TriStar pump will serve you fine.

Hayward has three level of automation controllers:

- AquaLogic - which is basic automation and does the things most people want
- Prologic - which has advanced automation features
- OmniLogic - for those who want the automation to control all aspects of their pool and house

AquaLogic is a good value.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.