Credit or purchase my own?

Zamsaf

May 2, 2018
Central fl
Hello my PB is giving me a Hayward Cleaner - Navigator HCS925CB with the pool. I believe he charged me 400-500 for this. My pool is 14-28 and approximately 11k gallons with a screen. Do I need a vacuum?
Is the vacuum he is giving me good? Should I request him to refund that amount and purchase one on my own for perhaps a better price?

A suction pool cleaner is the worst type of cleaner from the last century. No reason to struggle with that in a new pool.

Get a refund and put a few more bucks into a Maytronics Dolphin cleaner from Margret at Marina Pools.

Reactions: markayash
Thank you, why are they the worst? My pool is honestly not too big, I will have an enclosure, and there are no trees nearby. I don't need the fanciest pool cleaner, just something that works decently.

Would you hookup your home vacuum cleaner to run through your air conditioning system? That is in effect what you are doing with a pool suction vacuum. You are sucking all the dirt and debris on your pool floor up through the pipe through a pump and into your pool filter instead of trapping it in a bag and discarding it. Users of pool vacuums often get debris stuck in the suction pipe or pump which disables the entire pool circulation until repaired. It was a low cost simple way to clean the pool floor that has been replaced by much better methods.

Last edited:
Do suction vacuums require special plumbing and valves? My PB said he can’t give full credit because plumbing and valaves would still be installed.

Yes they typically include a dedicated line and valve to turn that line on/off. But if he hasn't already installed it you should be able to cancel it. My builder put this line in as well and I just don't use it. It still has to be winterized though. I have a great robot.

Reactions: Shirker
Yes for sure you always need a vacuum. Make sure you get a manual vacuum as well (hose and vacuum head they connect into your skimmer) usually builders include it in their "startup" kit along with a net, pole, and other essentials.

The one in my sig is the mac-daddy but the one Allen suggested is also a good option.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you getting a robot? If so it is always nice to have a backup vacuum in case the main cleaner stops working. The only vacuum you should need is a manual one and the pool builder will hopefully supply that along with the hose. You can run this through the skimmer or the suction port if that has already been installed.

Another nice thing about robots is it will lessen how much brushing you will have to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.