Bronze Supporter
Sep 12, 2021
Toronto, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
When we had pool deck installed I had asked the landscapers to cover the skimmer with one of the slabs, as opposed to the plastic cover. Looks great and all but removing the 20+ lb slab is a challenge. They drilled a small hole for me to lift the slab out, but who’s index finger can lift this much weight ?
so my workaround , each time I clean the skimmer basket, is to reach into the skimmer and pop a metal piece through the hole and then slide my screwdriver into a hole in the metal piece and lift out the slab. Not ideal at all as my shirt is usually soaked at the end of this process.
Looking for some creative ideas to remove the slab?😀
thanks!
4517B48D-DC5F-4814-870B-9AD9B1BA61B7.jpeg

IMO, what should have been done, and what I see most often here us the stone is cut around the skimmer plate. Then either a decorative skimmer cover is used, or one that has a thin area for inlay of cement or stone to match is built on the skimmer.

Can you have them come out and cut around the skimmer and use a cover?

Maddie :flower:

Interesting idea, we had a white plastic skimmer cap and figured it was that or a concrete slab. Thinking I need some type of tool to stick in the hole that expands at the bottom or something so I can pull out the slab. I like the look of what we have as it’s completely hidden, so would prefer not the make any drastic changes 😀

Take the slab out however you've been doing it up to now. Flip it over and put an eye bolt through the hole–threaded side towards the top of the slab. Make sure the eye bolt is just long enough to be ⅛" below the top of the slab. Screw a nut on the eye bolt from the top about ¾" down the bolt. Fill the hole with J-B Weld up to the depth of the nut. To remove the slab, screw on a threaded extension and another eye bolt. Place a piece of rebar through the top eye bolt and you can lift the slab easily. Good Luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
sure it would as long as it fits into it.. you would just use it on one side or the other just enough to get it up and get a hand under it.

If not you can make an oblong hole that it would work on... :)

Secure a nut plate under the lid with the nut aligned with the hole and then use a threaded handle to screw into the nut and lift the stone as needed.

View attachment 374378
View attachment 374379
This looks good. May be the least painful once i find the parts. Hopefully i can screw it into the underside of the paver without cracking it :p

sure it would as long as it fits into it.. you would just use it on one side or the other just enough to get it up and get a hand under it.

If not you can make an oblong hole that it would work on... :)
Oh ya, good point. I was thinking of lifting it up like they do in the fancy videos;) if i can lift it up just enough to slide my hand under. thanks

Reactions: cowboycasey
Manhole cover lifter

There a load of different styles.

This looks good. May be the least painful once I find the parts. Hopefully I can screw it into the underside of the paver without cracking it :p
I would look for a wide stainless steel nut plate, or have one made.

Glue it to the bottom of the stone with epoxy or other glue.

The plate will be pulled against the stone when lifting, so the glue does not need to be really strong.

I would want a 4" x 4" X 1/4" stainless steel plate with a hole in the center and a stainless steel nut tack welded in place.

Below are some general ideas of the type of solution.

Glue the nut plate in place to secure.

Screw in handle to lift the stone.

You can probably just glue a wide stainless steel fender washer and nut to the bottom of the stone and get an all thread stainless steel bolt to use as a handle.

For the bolt, get a bar with a hole and secure it in place with a nut to create a handle.

1632771364628.png
1632771335102.png
1632771299339.png

I would want a 4" x 4" X 1/4" stainless steel plate with a hole in the center and a stainless steel nut tack welded in place.

Below are some general ideas of the type of solution.

Glue the nut plate in place to secure.

Screw in handle to lift the stone.

You can probably just glue a wide stainless steel fender washer and nut to the bottom of the stone and get an all thread stainless steel bolt to use as a handle.

For the bolt, get a bar with a hole and secure it in place with a nut to create a handle.

View attachment 374493
View attachment 374492
View attachment 374491
This is great! Thanks for the fantastic idea.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.