Cracks and fissures were observed in the retaining wall structure

Hello- I am in the process of purchasing a new home and this issue came up in inspection. What does the path look like to getting this remedied? How serious? How costly? Thank you!!View attachment 558231
Someone resurfaced the concrete decking to make it look nicer, maybe for a home sale. The resurfacing layer sometimes doesn’t bond good enough to the original and you get cracks. It could also be a sign that the soil underneath isn’t properly compacted or isn’t stable enough to support the concrete. Only real way to fix it is to tear it out and redo it. Need a concrete mason to estimate cost.

I would suggest getting a pool inspection from two different pool service people.

A home inspector will not know how to inspect a pool or know what to look for.

The crack might be nothing and it might indicate a huge problem like the pool sinking or maybe it floated.

Get the equipment working and circulating and do an overnight water level check to see if the pool holds water.

Ask who does pool maintenance and service on the pool and then contact them and ask them to meet you onsite for an inspection and to go over everything they know about the pool.

Someone resurfaced the concrete decking to make it look nicer, maybe for a home sale. The resurfacing layer sometimes doesn’t bond good enough to the original and you get cracks. It could also be a sign that the soil underneath isn’t properly compacted or isn’t stable enough to support the concrete. Only real way to fix it is to tear it out and redo it. Need a concrete mason to estimate cost.
By "tear it out and redo it" do you mean tear out the whole pool?

I would suggest getting a pool inspection from two different pool service people.

A home inspector will not know how to inspect a pool or know what to look for.

The crack might be nothing and it might indicate a huge problem like the pool sinking or maybe it floated.

Get the equipment working and circulating and do an overnight water level check to see if the pool holds water.

Ask who does pool maintenance and service on the pool and then contact them and ask them to meet you onsite for an inspection and to go over everything they know about the pool.
Thank you!

Reactions: JamesW