Cracked skimmer

moore887

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 14, 2018
CAPE CORAL
My father in law's pool sends bubbles out of the return when I have the skimmer on. Turning the valve to main drain stops the bubbles.

He tells me that the skimmer was leaking a couple of years ago and he glued it. He has been quoted around $1,000 to have the skimmer cut out and replaced

What if we left the skimmer off and bought a float around type of skimmer? Any recommendations on what to get or should we bite the bullet and just get the built in one replaced?

Im not sure if this picture is much good. I tried to upload another one but the site says it's too large. I only have my phone with my here so I can't use a web resizer.

He said he put glue around it but it's close on 20 years old. The guys that installed his propane heater today quoted him a couple of thousand to refinish the pool and repair the skimmer so he may go with that.

I turned off the skimmer put the filter still blows out air and the pump basket is only half full of water even when I run the Jandy vs pump on full speed.

Dave,

I can't think of a way a skimmer can allow air to leak in... :scratch:

It seems like you could just look down inside the skimmer as it is running and either you could see air being sucked in or not..

What am I missing???

Sounds to me more like the line is partially plugged or the valve that selects skimmer/main drain is bad or has something in it.

Jim R.

Agreed. The pool is 20 years old. It's unfortunate that everything came at once. He upgraded to the same swcg, pump and filter as mine and just had the local pool co install a propane heater (not sure why they didn't bolt it down ) but not being able to prime up the pump no matter what way I have the valve turned causes concern.

James,

I would think you would see it or it would have to be coming in from the pipes underground....

Just does not sound right to me... Or at least a cracked skimmer would not be the first thing I would think of...

If this were my pool I would sure be trying to eliminate everything else before digging a skimmer up..

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Possibly in the plumbing. I would recommend that the line get pressure tested.

If the skimmer is cracked, then water would leak out.

It might have a leaking (water out) skimmer and a leaking (air in) pipe.

He did put a small bit of dye into the skimmer a short while ago. I didn't see it coming back out of either of the two returns . It's getting dark here now. I think I will take a look at it again tomorrow evening but it's looking like even if we diagnose the problem it's going to be a tough fix.

A pressure test of the line is ideal. In the meantime I'd try using your valves and adjust them so most of the return water is coming from the main drain and the flow from the skimmer is about half what it was. If the bubbles stop completely it may just be show that the skimmer is mixing some air with the water flow (vortex?) at the normal/high flow rate.

The guys that installed his propane heater today quoted him a couple of thousand to refinish the pool and repair the skimmer so he may go with that.

What exactly is included in "refinishing the pool" and repairing the skimmer for a couple of thousand? Replastering? If that's the case I'd get the guy back ASAP before he changes his mind! A typical skimmer replacement would cost that alone and replastering usually in the $6000 - $12,000 and up.

Oh, and have him pressure test the plumbing before he starts to confirm the location of the leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.