Jenkintown, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
32EDA5A2-8CEC-4A89-AE2A-89589D2EA56F.jpegI’ve got a cracked skimmer on my IG pool. Its cracked on the top so leaking isn’t a concern but the weir door is getting trapped in the closed position so it needs to be addressed.

Option 1) Replace the whole thing at a cost of $2250. We are in the process of getting quotes for having the deck replaced so if replacement is inevitably needed, nows the time and I’m not in a spot where I just can’t afford it.

Jury is still out whether we’re replacing with a paver or concrete deck. If its concrete it will probably be a fancy finish and not easy to match down the road should we have to cut into it. If we go pavers it sounds like these can be dug up and then put back down should we ever need to.

Option 2) what are the chances an epoxy job can bring the skimmer back into the right shape to last? If I clear out the concrete over the skimmer and bring the top into alignment with epoxy above the plastic- could that make for a lasting fix?

Option 3). Just not use the skimmer. This is my deep end skimmer. I have one in the shallow end and also a main drain. My valves allow for the bad skimmer to be isolated.

Option 4) any other ideas?

That’s my inclination as well. Im actually wondering if this is an old repair opened up as I look at the white material over the crack. Is that old epoxy? Don’t know how they would have made the repair without taking out the concrete above which looks like it it is original.

Clearly this skimmer has had issues with the deck and/or ground settling and stressing it. I’m sure thats what caused this crack as I don’t have mastic in the expansion joint right now as we decided to replace the deck following new coping rather than keep the old one as it was so uneven. One day of heavy rain and SNAP!

Are pavers less likely to cause this to happen again? Anything else to look for in terms of how the new deck is put in to make this less likely?

I don't know that pavers would make much difference either way, except in the event you have to have it repaired, then the pavers could be removed and replaced without damaging the appearance of the decking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.