Cracked salt cell union, how to fix?

Aug 18, 2018
Ottawa
I noticed a small drip from the salt cell union from my last install when I cleaned the cell, so I decided to titghten it a little and I guess I went too tight since I just cracked it.

Luckily, it’s still not leaking but I need to replace the cracked union.

Does this mean I’m going to need to be doing some pvc work? Since the union doesn’t simply slip off the pipe.

I’m attaching photos.

I’d gladly just buy a replacement part and install it but if it requires pvc work I may need to call someone...

thanks in advance, my first post here!

Attachments

• CDA0F1B9-0928-446E-A0E0-0D43B26911C2.jpg
    CDA0F1B9-0928-446E-A0E0-0D43B26911C2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 132
  • D0DB4B30-FE65-4A69-B74E-71BE01052F48.jpg
    D0DB4B30-FE65-4A69-B74E-71BE01052F48.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 122
Mark,

Welcome to TFP.. a great place to find the answers to all of your "When is tight too tight?" questions... :shark:

To do it right, you are going to have to cut off the old union, add a short length of new pipe with a new union on the end..

You can also just try to epoxy the old union... I had the same problem and ordered new unions.. I just epoxied the crack shut as a temporary fix... that was about 6 months ago and I have yet to get around to installing the new unions... :rolleyes: You just need to make sure that you don't glue the union to the cell...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the reply Jim!

I figured it would require some light surgery to the pipes.. but I guess I could try the epoxy route as well.
Since it's holding fine and not leaking, and only a slight drip here and there, I'll probably wait until the end of season when I clean out the cell to try the epoxy route to see if that holds.

Thanks for the suggestion!

_Mark_

I wish I could attach a photo from my phone of the connector I used to fix the same issue on my plumbing. Check with a pool store. The unions are about 10 bucks. There is a fitting that will attach the new union with no pipe extensions. One side is 2” for the union and the other end glues inside the 1 1/2” pipe you need to cut. Any pressure on those unions other than straight line will crack them. If I can get the name of the fitting, I will post it.

Just cut the 1.5" pvc pipe, replace the nut and reconnect the pipe with a coupling. Cut out about 3/16" extra from the pipe for the center of the coupling so that the length ends up the same.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.