Cracked fiberglass after applying new fiberglass layer

anandd1991

Oct 16, 2021
South Carolina
Hey guys, we had an in ground fiberglass pool put in last October and 1 year later we have 2 cracks, both on the deep end of the pool. The company that built the pool isn’t responding to any calls or emails and they may have gone out of business.

Anyway, we had a company come and patch it with pool putty that stopped the leaks for a week but it started again. We then had a fiberglass pool restoration company come by and take a look at it. They drained the pool, cleaned the putty and added a few layers of fiberglass and gel coat over the cracks yesterday (Oct 15, 12 PM). I was told I could start filling up the pool again at 6 PM the same day.

When I went out this evening, approx 28 hours after I started filling the pool, the cracks were back again!! It’s the same size as what it was before, and the same spot. What could be causing this? Any thoughts and helpful feedback would be greatly appreciated

The picture without the greenish putty is after “fixing” the cracks

Attachments

• 632BC171-6307-4457-BC85-9DE7A6A93BCA.jpeg
    632BC171-6307-4457-BC85-9DE7A6A93BCA.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 06AC24B7-E8A5-415E-B8D0-466390081C3E.jpeg
    06AC24B7-E8A5-415E-B8D0-466390081C3E.jpeg
    554.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 7454074A-C949-4058-B763-A1ECD9C773BC.jpeg
    7454074A-C949-4058-B763-A1ECD9C773BC.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 31
  • F293B179-FAB5-4ABC-8B06-140A50C42835.jpeg
    F293B179-FAB5-4ABC-8B06-140A50C42835.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 24
Welcome to TFP.

Put a level on different areas of your pool and deck and see if it looks like your pool or ground is shifting.

I wonder if those areas have not been backfilled well.

Reactions: borjis
Thank you! So, what’s happening is there is some vacuum or empty spots behind the pool wall where there isn’t any dirt/gravel and that is causing the cracks to appear because of the lack of support behind the pool?

I tried to Google for backfilling pros in my area (Fort Mill SC) and it yielded nothing useful. Any suggestions on what I should be searching for? Is a fix even possible for this without taking the whole pool out of the ground? And is this an expensive repair? Thanks in advance

Its hard to tell how extensive the repair will need to be without seeing what is going on under the pool. They will probably need to remove the decking in the areas where the cracks are so they can dig a bit and look under the pool. I would contact the company that just did the patch and tell them what happened. Have you tried contacting the pool manufacturer? When you google the name of the builder does anything come up?

Do they have a business address you can go to?

Did you verify:

1) Business license.

2) Contractor’s License?

3) Insurance?

4) Bond?

5) Worker’s compensation insurance?

The contractor might be required to post a surety bond.

Check with the South Carolina Contractor’s Licensing Board to see if the company is licensed and if they have an active bond.

Contractor License Bond

The South Carolina Residential Builders Commission requires that all residential contractors licensed in the state post a bond to ensure compliance with state regulations.

There is a $15,000 bond required for Residential Builder/Certificate of Authority, a $10,000 bond for Licensed Residential Specialty Contractors (HVAC, plumber or electrician), and a $5,000 bond for Registered Residential Specialty Contractors.

South Carolina Contractor License or Residential Builder Bond Information

The South Carolina Residential Builders Commission requires that contractors post a surety bond as a method of authorization to engage in residential construction activities. Per the Code of Laws of South Carolina, surety bond requirements by classification are as follows;

$15,000 surety bond for Residential Builders / Certification of Authorization

$10,000 surety bond for Licensed Residential Specialty Contractor (HVAC, plumber, or electrician)

$5,000 surety bond for Registered Specialty Contractor including the following classifications; vinyl and aluminum siding installers, insulation installers, roofers, floor covering installers, masons, drywall installers, carpenters, stucco installers, and painters/wall paper hangers

The South Carolina Contractor’s Licensing Board now accepts a surety bond for both initial applications and renewals for General Contractor Licenses and Mechanical Contractor Licenses. The surety bond satisfies the minimum net worth qualification requirement. An applicant furnishes a surety bond in the amount of two times the net worth requirement of the contractor’s tier or Group Level. The surety bond amounts for General and Mechanical Contractors range from $7,000 to $500,000 as outlined below.

In addition to the state residential builder and other contractor bonds described above, many cities and counties (including Charleston County, Columbia, North Augusta, Rock Hill, Spartanburg and Richland County) require certain contractors to post surety bonds. If this bond is for a job that you are bidding or a contract that has been awarded to you, the surety bond you need is a Contract/Construction Bond rather than a Contractor License Bond.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.