Cracked Diffuser?

drewchew

Dec 7, 2020
Houston,TX
New pool owner... I noticed my pump rattling so I disassembled it to see if I could track down the source. No debris in the pump, the only thing that looks suspicious is this gap (crack?) in the diffuser (part SB3000 - BN).

Just wanted to confirm that this is indeed cracked and not how it's intended to look.E74DA60F-AF18-46F3-A19D-8B3460AA6E35.jpeg

Nope, it's cracked. Good catch. :goodjob: Order a replacement and you should be okay. At some point, make sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info as well.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thanks! So... I got a new diffuser and Leslie sold me a new wear ring as well, but it seems like the wear ring is really loose on the impeller... like 3/16" clearance all around... I was hesitant to rebuild with the new parts if I'm just going to wear them out right away because there's too much slop.

Thoughts?

GIF image-F506277FE6CC-1.gif

There are 2 different rings.

For Impeller SPX3005C, SP3007C, SP3010C, use ring number SPX3005R;

For Impeller SPX3016C or above, use ring number SPX3021R.

The part numbers should be stamped on the ring and the impeller.

Based on the diffuser part number of SPX3000BN, the ring should be SPX3005R. I suspect that you have the wrong ring.

hayward-5110-23dims.jpg

SPX3021R

Hayward-SPX3021R-dims.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Splash
It looks like the impeller is cracked.

Maybe the impeller was rubbing against the diffuser and both parts got damaged.

Does the impeller seem to spin in a balanced way or does it seem like it is off balance?

Probably needs a new impeller, but there might be another issue that caused the parts to interfere.

You will also need a new seal.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.