Cracked Chlorine Feeder

xford66

Dec 17, 2019
Georgetown, TX
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The freeze got my chlorine feeder, it pretty much cracked top to bottom and has a pretty fast drip.. and pool water level is already below skimmers. (switched to pulling from main drain only)
I had the pump running most of the time (when had power) but forgot about the water sitting in the chlorine feeder. and the valve to it was turned off.. thus froze solid and cracked.

Trying to get the parts before taking this apart and causing a bigger leak... but wanted to check if the top section can be removed and from the PVC and a plug installed?

or is the Chlorinator and the T in the PVC one piece?

attached pic.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2585.JPG
    IMG_2585.JPG
    448 KB · Views: 37
I used to have an inline of a different brand but same concept. The chlorinator had its own "T" at the base for installation, so this one would need to be cut out when you're ready to replace it. Since this is somewhat of an emergency situation, and the chlorinator doesn't' retain high water pressure like the filter, I would if you could just apply an epoxy of some sort for now over the cracked area? They make some that work in wet conditions. The main issue though might be getting anything to stick when the temps are so cold.

Reactions: mknauss
You can see a hole near the base of the chlorinator. If you look in there, you can see a screw. If you remove the screw and disconnect the tubing, you can unscrew the chlorinator. You can cap the T with a 1.5” threaded cap. You can unscrew the black hose fitting and plug the hole with a 1/2” threaded plug.

This helps a ton, thanks!

I just found this youtube video(link below), showing how to remove but wasn't sure on sizes.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.