Cracked cartridge filter

bigbrewbowski

Aug 3, 2022
Rhode Island
Hi All-

See photos. I installed an AGP about 4 weeks ago. I closed the pool this weekend, and when I opened up the filter and started cleaning I noticed a large crack at the bottom of the cartridge. See attached photos. This was plumbed in the correct direction.

What could have caused the crack?

Attachments

• PXL_20220925_171710903.jpg
    PXL_20220925_171710903.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20220925_183518034.jpg
    PXL_20220925_183518034.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 15
Big,

We have seen that type of failure several times with other cartridge filters. It can be caused by having the input and output connections reversed.

Not saying that is your problem, but certainly something to check,

Thanks,

Jim R.

Are you sure?

Show pictures of the in and out labels as well as the inside of the filter.

Make and model of filter?
100% positive this was plumbed correctly. I installed myself and confirmed. In addition, the outside of the filter would not have all of the pine droppings on it if it were backwards. Not at home and don't have photos of it at the moment.

Filter is CircuPool CJ-2750 Cartridge Filter. Pump is CircuPool SmartFlo Variable Speed Pool Pump - 1.5 THP .

My thoughts:
1. Is it possible pressure was too high?
2. Getting this pump primed was a real issue. I tried many times and couldn't get it until I stuck a hose in the skimmer. Pump was too powerful. Could this have caused the filter to crack?
3. It was tough pulling the filter off out of the housing. The pool installer put the filter together for me, is it possible they pushed it on to the filter housing too hard and cracked it?

Is it possible pressure was too high?
Maybe, how high did it get?
Pump was too powerful. Could this have caused the filter to crack?
Maybe, how much flow and pressure can the pump provide?
It was tough pulling the filter off out of the housing. The pool installer put the filter together for me, is it possible they pushed it on to the filter housing too hard and cracked it?
Possibly.

99.9% of the time that type of crack is caused by a reverse flow.

Maybe it was plumbed incorrectly at first and then turned around?

Maybe the cartridge is too small and it got ripped when it was installed?

Maybe it’s the wrong cartridge.

Maybe the cartridge is defective.

Maybe the “In” and “Out” labels are incorrect.

File a warranty with Circupool and see what they will do for you.

Thanks for the response. I mentioned that it was plumbed correctly because when I did my research before posting, the number one cause of cracks was reversed plumbing. The very first thing I did was check to make sure it was plumbed correctly.

More background:
My pool installer erected the AGP and set the filter and pump in place. My electrician did the grounding and bonding, ran power and hard wired the pump. I ran all of the plumbing, made all connections and hooked up everything.

I can tell you that it was always plumbed in the correct direction. I did call the supplier and was able to get a replacement cartridge at no cost.
Pretty sure the cartridge is correct, I don't think it would be packaged with the wrong one. I hope it's not labeled incorrectly, but I can tell you that the inside of the filter was clean and I don't think that was the cause.
I can't say if this was either a defective filter or was ripped when installed. I just cant be sure. I never opened the box that the filter came in nor saw the pool installer set it in place for me.

Pressure: See attached photo. This was the water pressure gauge on top of the filter when set to run at 2500 RPM. The top speed of the pump is 3000 RPM, so pressure would have been higher at that speed. (which I did run)

I do not want a repeat of this come spring time when I setup the pool again, so if I made some mistake I would like to not repeat that next year.

Attachments

• PXL_20220910_141708744.jpg
    PXL_20220910_141708744.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.