Crack in Polymer pool wall

BombB2

Jan 16, 2022
North carolina
Hello,
I purchased a do it yourself in ground pool kit from pool warehouse. So far I have been very happy with it and I'm currently complete with everything with the exception of the liner.
Here is my issue. Today I had to have my concrete guy come break up a piece of the deck to move the cups for the ladder because I messed up reading the blueprint. Anyway while he was breaking up a small section of concrete a crack formed on my polymer panel about 6 feet away from where he was working. It's a vertical crack about 2 and a half feet long. As far as I can see the panel is not bowing out. The crack is small it's just long. I know once I fill with water it will help equal the pressure the wall is getting from the gravel behind it. Can I repair this with some epoxy? Replacing the panel is pretty much not possible.

B2,

Welcome to TFP. I think a few photo's may help get some more attention to your post. Jimmy would be a perfect person to answer this.

Chris

What's behind it is it back filled? My issue would be the expansion and contraction in my climate. Not to be a downer but I would replace that panel if it was my build. I can't afford the fix after it's finished. Without being there it's hard to advise you. But the fact the return is in the middle of the split I think your asking for trouble....think about it. If you attempted to repair you need to reinforce both sides at the least. And btw you can replace any panel on any pool it's just a PIA. Don't sledge hammer around pools use a demo saw and cut 😉

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What's behind it is it back filled? My issue would be the expansion and contraction in my climate. Not to be a downer but I would replace that panel if it was my build. I can't afford the fix after it's finished. Without being there it's hard to advise you. But the fact the return is in the middle of the split I think your asking for trouble....think about it. If you attempted to repair you need to reinforce both sides at the least. And btw you can replace any panel on any pool it's just a PIA. Don't sledge hammer around pools use a demo saw and cut 😉
Behind it is backfill with gravel. The concrete slab is on top. There is also a 8inch think concrete ring going around the pool under the gravel to hold the braces and stakes into the ground. If I replaced that panel it would cost me so much money.

Attachments

• POLYMER OVERDIG DETAIL.PDF (1).pdf
    53.4 KB · Views: 23
I appreciate all the advice. I called the company that I got the wall from. He claims that a fiberglass repair should do the trick. Especially since there is no bowing right now. Looks like I have a choice I need to make. Breaking up the deck, cutting the coping, digging out the gravel. Then breaking up the concrete ring on the bottom for a 6 foot section just seems like something I can't do. I have already spent over 25k on this build. There is no way the concrete guy would pay. Uggg

There is no way the concrete guy would pay. Uggg
Probably not without a lot of pressure. That's why it's important to have someone insured and bonded. I've had two cases where damage occurred when contractors were working here. Many years ago, I had a large Oak tree that needed to be taken down but had a deck built around it. The workers said they could cut the tree and it would clear the deck when it came down. Didn't work out that way and the deck was destroyed and they had to rebuild my deck. More recently, I had a large Oak taken down beside of my shop. Later during a rainstorm, water was coming in where a limb had punctured the metal roof. They had to send someone back to repair the damage but I let them use a patch since the roof was older.

It the patch will work, then it is the quickest, easiest, and afterwards you probably won't ever know it was there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.