Crack and leak at MPV screw

brew4eagle

Jun 2, 2016
Stafford, VA
Just noticed this crack at a drain(?) screw or plug on my MPV.
Any suggestions for the possibility of fixing or mitigating the cracks?

(Edit- found the answer to my question about should it be a metal plug, answer is no, put part # in below reply)

Last pic is a friend that was there when I took the cover off today, gave me a nice scare for a second. He's a good guy though!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230527_142209_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230527_142209_Gallery.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20230527_142220_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230527_142220_Gallery.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20230527_142245_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230527_142245_Gallery.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Those cracks cannot be repaired. The MPV needs to be replaced.

Those cracks were caused by overtightning of the plug. A metal plug would just encourage over tightening and damage.

Let's see what @1poolman1 thinks.

Reactions: csn
It's a very slow drip at the moment. Guess I'll just let it limp along and look to replace soon. Might try a product like plast-aid before replacing it in case it works a miracle.

That is in a high pressure area and you risk the plug blowing out and your pool emptying out the hole until your pump runs dry.

Limping along is not recommended.

Reactions: JamesW
That is in a high pressure area and you risk the plug blowing out and your pool emptying out the hole until your pump runs dry.

Limping along is not recommended.
I get that it's high pressure as far as a pool goes, but is it really at a high enough pressure to blow out? It's at like 10 to 15 psi, correct? (Same pressure as filter gauge reading)

I get that it's high pressure as far as a pool goes, but is it really at a high enough pressure to blow out? It's at like 10 to 15 psi, correct? (Same pressure as filter gauge reading)

Yup, and if your filter gets dirty the PSI can rise.

Reactions: csn and brew4eagle
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.