Cover pump with auto and manual on & off?

Nectarologist

Apr 3, 2015
New York
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Hello. I'm looking to buy a cover pump that has automatic on and off as well as a manual option to turn on & off. I haven't seen anything via search here or online. Does such a thing even exist? (Not sure if this a true pump forum topic or more suited for "everything else")
Thanks, Chris

Seems like there would be a pump with a float that would work. Have you checked with someone like InyoPools for what they might have?

Hello Nectarologist
I have used both automatic and manual pool cover pumps over the years. I have found that the automatic ones from local Lowes burn out after 1 to 2 seasons and now have manual ones. Current one has lasted over 5 years/seasons. I just turn on and off as needed. As you know, it is very inconvenient to plug in and out in inclement weather. I have overcome this by buying an outdoor smart plug. I recommend/use the Kasa KP400 for about $30 (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-link-kasa-smart-wi-fi-outdoor-plug-black/6341148.p?skuId=6341148). I can turn it on and off via an app on my phone. I also have it connected to Google Home. I can now tell Google to turn on the pool pump & set a timer on google for 15 min to remind me to turn it off. That model has 2 plugs, each one you can separately control via app/smart device. I use the 2nd plug for Xmas lights and program it on my phone to automatically turn on/off. I leave the KP400 out year round and have had no problems. I've had it for about 2 years. This is a way to turn your "dumb" manual pump into a "smart" pump. Hope this helps and good luck

Attachments

• Kasa KP400.jpg
    Kasa KP400.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 5
I just realized that this may not work for you if you just want to "set and forget" the pump with an automatic one. That is what I wanted when I used the automatic ones as I didn't want to go out to plug and unplug the pump in cold & rainy days. However, they burn out too frequently and I can't/refuse to pay for a new one every year or every other year.

I just realized that this may not work for you if you just want to "set and forget" the pump with an automatic one. That is what I wanted when I used the automatic ones as I didn't want to go out to plug and unplug the pump in cold & rainy days. However, they burn out too frequently and I can't/refuse to pay for a new one every year or every other year.
Thanks for the info Z. I'm going to go with the Kasa for now. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the info Z. I'm going to go with the Kasa for now. :)
As an update, I was looking at the different "controls" in the app for the plug. You can connect to Google or Alexa to tell it to turn on and a Timer feature to automatically turn it off after a set number of minutes. This is what I will do now, no need to tell Google/Alexa to set a timer to remind me to turn pump off.....so now it's set and forget! The only thing you have to do is turn it on as needed via voice or app. :D Please update on your experience.

Attachments

• Timer Function Kasa.jpg
    Timer Function Kasa.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: Nectarologist
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.