Cover options for in-ground attached spillover spa

Oct 2, 2020
Orinda, CA
I'm in the process of retiling and resurfacing a pool (came with the house and needed some love), but I'm trying to figure out what options I have to keep my spa relatively warm. If I were starting from scratch, I'd opt to have a separate, above ground spa.

The issue I have is that the spa is not completely flat. You can see from the picture that once tiled, it drops down about 6" (approx.). Pool company has suggested cutting a circle solar cover, but is that my only (best?) option?

Attachments

• PXL_20210205_165550163.jpg
    PXL_20210205_165550163.jpg
    800.8 KB · Views: 20
Welcome to the forum.
This will be an integrated spa, correct? The pool and spa water will be maintained as one. So everytime you wish to use the spa, you will adjust the valves, or have automation that does it for you, and heat the spa. When done, the valves will be returned to normal and the waters will mix.
So you will not retain heat in only the spa. You may cover the pool and spa, if you wish. It is more problematic with a spillover spa.

Welcome to the forum.
This will be an integrated spa, correct? The pool and spa water will be maintained as one. So everytime you wish to use the spa, you will adjust the valves, or have automation that does it for you, and heat the spa. When done, the valves will be returned to normal and the waters will mix.
So you will not retain heat in only the spa. You may cover the pool and spa, if you wish. It is more problematic with a spillover spa.

Thanks for the reply, Marty!

I see what you're saying. While I can isolate water/heat circulation while i'm using the spa, as soon as I need to run the pump to clean the pool, all my nice hot spa water will get added to the pool (and all the nice cold pool water gets added to the spa). Am I understanding that correctly?

I've heard heating a pool is slow and expensive (about 1 degree F per hour..). Is this not going to be as big of a deal with the spa given that it's so much smaller? What do others with integrated spas do in the winter time? Is it as simple as adjusting the valves and turning on the heater, letting it get to temp, and then enjoying? How long will heat up take and will this be incredibly inefficient?

EDIT: My spa does have a drain. One options would be to isolate the spa cleaning and the pool cleaning, right? Perhaps I'll wait to hear what others do before getting ahead of myself.

Am I understanding that correctly?
That is correct.
Is this not going to be as big of a deal with the spa given that it's so much smaller? What do others with integrated spas do in the winter time? Is it as simple as adjusting the valves and turning on the heater, letting it get to temp, and then enjoying? How long will heat up take and will this be incredibly inefficient?
What volume is your spa? What rating is your heater? With that data, you can see how long it will take to heat the spa water and about how much gas it will take to heat the water.
EDIT: My spa does have a drain. One options would be to isolate the spa cleaning and the pool cleaning, right? Perhaps I'll wait to hear what others do before getting ahead of myself.
Your pump, filter, and chlorination method will be tied to your entire water volume. So isolating the spa is not viable without a very large up front economic impact.

All,

Keep in mind that most spas get their chlorination from the spillover action.. If you isolate the spa, it may or may not get any chlorination without the spillover working..

How do you chlorinate the spa?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.