Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello,
We are looking to have a cover made for our pool for the fall/winter time. It needs to be flush wish the deck as to not allow leaves to blow under in windy times. So, we are thinking a "safety" type cover that anchors onto the deck.
Currently we're just using a net cover that is rectangular shape, so it is tough to keep flush given the contours of our free-form pool. We have lots of beautiful (but evil) oak trees that are apparently very mad at us this year and are shedding acorns and leaves like never before. I am not even convinced that us chopping them ALL down (if that were even an option) would even solve our problem. Our neighbors have lots of trees, too. We don't want to do an enclosure but we are 2 months in and are already sick of the stains the leaves are leaving (pun intended) on our brand new plaster because we cannot get to vacuuming it often enough to clean the debris that gets under the net cover.. so we're stuck.

We have a paver deck, so I know there are some special considerations with that as well.. but I am not sure where to begin to make sure it's done right.
I searched for a company online that makes and installs these custom covers but have come up short. I can find them online but am overwhelmed with the measuring and such.. not even sure HOW to get that accurately. Plus, we need it installed correctly. I am not sure if we order online if we can get it installed somehow? Or are we left to our own devices?

Any suggestions on companies in Northwest Florida, or how to even go about this process? I am not sure where to begin.

Last edited:
I understand about the oak trees. If they are anything like ours, there will be a catkin drop in the spring, too. We needed a safety net in addition to a leaf cover so we had both made and installed on our free form pool by Katchakid. We’ve been very pleased.

We still get some leaves in the pool because they land on our waterfall and get washed under. The tannins do leave some stains at times, but chlorine gets them out over time. Hurray! Pollen gets through our mesh, but the filter takes care of that.

Do you have a robot to help with cleaning?

Hi DuaeGuttae,
The type of oak we have (at least the huge one) is a Laurel, which does not drop the catkins as far as I am aware. We do have a Live oak that *should* be far enough away that they don't get into the pool. We had a bunch of trees (sadly) removed, that were in too close of proximity to the pool. But, we don't have it in us (or the funds) to remove the huge oak.. though the thought has crossed our mind a time or two the last couple of months.

We have a robot vac on order as of yesterday. We waited to get one because we couldn't use it for the first 30 days after plaster anyways. So, we've just been using the manual vacuum which I think it a pain in the butt, TBH. But it works.. kinda. I vacuumed then brushed (backwards!) and there was dirt that scrubbed off the walls and floor when I brushed. So the manual vacuum doesn't do a great job apparently.

We are hoping to be able to leave the pool uncovered in the spring and summer.. because if we can't due to all of the debris, that just really stinks. Hubby REALLY doesn't want to do an enclosure, so I am kind of stuck.

We use our leaf net from October to April usually and only the safety net year round. Debris in the summer is much lighter, and we just let the robot clean up after storms. The first fall we lived with the pool we didn’t have the net, and it was a burden. You’ll feel less overwhelmed when you get something that works in place.

We have several Live Oaks that drop a ton of leaves. We use a solar cover and a blow it off weekly, and during the summer the robot takes care of the acorns and leaves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.