Cover fell in over the winter - possible hole in liner - advice needed please..

tbird2340

Jun 3, 2014
Youngstown, OH
Our cover fell in as there was too much water / ice in the middle and I didn't have anything tied on it to keep it from going in, big mistake..

Anywho, I tried getting it back on when it thawed and I drained the water off, but couldn't get it.. However, the bigger issue is that the water level is WAY lower then when I closed it.. I always just drain it under the skimmer.. As you can see in the pic, it's way below that..

So, what should I do here.. It's only April and I live in Ohio.. I don't usually open the pool until late May.. The water is already green because of the cover falling in and things getting in the water..

I really want to know why my water level is so low.. If it's not an obvious hole in the liner, what do I do? If it IS an obvious hole in the liner, what do I do? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9152.jpg
    IMG_9152.jpg
    851.5 KB · Views: 59
Open the pool a early as you can. Add water and see if it holds. There are patch kits for liners depending on where a tear may be. You just need to get the pool opened and see what your situation is.

Open the pool a early as you can. Add water and see if it holds. There are patch kits for liners depending on where a tear may be. You just need to get the pool opened and see what your situation is.

Thanks for the reply.. At this point, is there even any reason to keep the cover on, since it's already green and getting weather in it? Maybe if I take the cover off I'll get lucky and visibly see the tear?

If the tear isn't visible, then what?

No reason to keep the cover in the water. I would get it off and rake out the leafs.

Any tear will be right above the level the water stops dropping.

So this may sound like a stupid question but if I take the cover off and leave it off and don’t swim in it for over a month I won’t have to put chemicals or anything in it will I?

The sooner you start adding chlorine and getting the pump circulating the less algae growth you will have to get cleaned up with the SLAM Process process.

You don't have to add chemicals to the water. The algae will just continue to grow in the water until you do.

Mark where your current water line is and watch it over a few days. If it doesn't drop lower, try adding about a foot of fresh water and mark the new water level. If the new water level holds, then you probably lost water due to displacement from the weight of snow and ice on the cover. If the water drops to about the previous level and stops, then that is the approximate level where the pool is leaking.

Thanks for the replies.. I guess I'm asking if I take the cover off, would it be any worse, for the water, if left untreated, then it is right now (with the cover just barely on)..

If not, I'll just take it off and see what's up.. If it will be worse and I will have to run the pump and put in chlorine for a month+ for nothing other then keeping the water clear, then I'll hold off.

Thanks again!

The water is going to be the same for the next month with the cover on or off.

The sooner you get the leafs out if the water the better.

Reactions: tbird2340

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Put water in the pool. You had a cover on the pool. Precipitation was collecting on the cover. When the cover started weighing down, your pool water Rose and was coming out of the return. When my pool is covered (SWPA) I always open a foot below the return because of the cover collection of water that forces pool water out of the return. Put the hose in the pool and turn the water on. Hook the pump up and see if you lose water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.