Cover bolts breaking

Harli

Apr 7, 2023
Kansas
When I bought this house the previous owner had been using bolts instead of shear pins. Several have broke over the years. End of last year I had one break I had to attempt to drill it out manage to break drill bit off in the hole. I had to drill it out, I don’t know how I managed but when I drilled it out I created another hole beside the existing hole on the opposite side. I got another bolt in it but they keep breaking. I’m sure it’s due drilling side track next to existing hole. My guess is the best option is to replace the shaft. Is this something I could do on my own or need to hire a pool company to do it?

Moved from here.

When I bought this house the previous owner had been using bolts instead of shear pins. Several have broke over the years. End of last year I had one break I had to attempt to drill it out manage to break drill bit off in the hole. I had to drill it out, I don’t know how I managed but when I drilled it out I created another hole beside the existing hole on the opposite side. I got another bolt in it but they keep breaking. I’m sure it’s due drilling side track next to existing hole. My guess is the best option is to replace the shaft. Is this something I could do on my own or need to hire a pool company to do it?

Moved from here.
First you need to find out why the shear pins were breaking in the first place. That is what they are designed to do, "shear" on an overload, like a fuse in an electrical system. Do it enough times and the pins will not stay in place because the hole they go into has been enlarged due to the stress on the pin itself. Then bolts are the easy answer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.