Couple of questions on my Stenner thoughts

Sep 4, 2015
Charlotte,NC
So just got a Stenner 45 MPH10 off ebay. no accessories so I need to purchase a kit that has all that stuff. Supposed to be brand new for $65. I think they made a mistake on the ad as they said 12V instead of 120V on don't think they make a DC version of the 45MPH10. I got burned on another one that was pretty crusty couldn't get it to work it was super gummed up. Hopefully this one is really new or sending back.
  • Pool uses approx. 1/2 gallon a day in full heat.
  • 1/4" of 3/8" on tubing? Clear or black
  • I saw someone else post about injecting into the drain on their chlorinator, sure enough my Hayward puck chlorinator has one so looks like a good place. It hasn't had pucks in almost a year so not too worried on that.
  • I have been looking for 15 gallon tanks new they are almost 100 with shipping. Havnet found any used ones not sure who around my area I could find something like that. My though was to possibly use the 5 gallon bucket from Lowes. I could actually get 2 and Tee the suction line and it would draw from both buckets evenly. 10gallons would be approx.x 20 days so more than enough
  • I have a crawl space right next to the pump pad, its got power and would keep tings out of the sun. Any concerns about vapor from the chlorine in the buckets. Plan was to drill hole and use grommet for the tubing.
  • will use a timer and figure out how much run time I need to pump 1/2 gallon. is it better to run every couple hours? Pool school says I should be around 5 with CYA of 40. Goal is so it doesn't drop below 3.

Im going on a couple trips in a few weeks my wife will be here for the first one so she can monitor things second one is 10 days so need to dial in. I really don't want to resort to pucks and honestly they wouldn't last 10 days anyway. Water is 90 so things could go south very quickly.

My Two Cents: 1/4 tubing will be fine..make sure its the bkack uv reisistent tubing; injecting into the cloronator port is also fine...just be sure you but the Stenner Connector that comes with a check valve. The buckets aren't the most optimal storage design but will work, assuming tube entry will be inserted through small hole in the lids. Crawl space location is fine, unless you have any furnace device that draws its combustion air from the crawl space. Fumes will not travel through your solid subfloor. But you shoukd be sure your crawl space location has ample cross ventiliation. If not, scratch that location. Dosing schedule varies among pool owners..some do it in intervals to spread out the dosing...others seem to prefer a straight block if time. I prefer doing in intervals.

Be sure to read up on threads here that will refer you to maintenance for your stenner. If it is used, you should think about reading up on how to replace the Stenner pumps tube...a simple procedure that can also be found on youtube.

Edit: If you use the port on the chlorinator, might be a good idea to put a permanent warning message on it so no one accidently throws some pucks in it. Some here suggest permanetly glue the cap on the chlorinator to preclude adding puck (combination of both = explosive results).

Cheers and good luck.

Jaimslaw thanks for the advice. Yes their is a furnace in there so probably scratch that. As far as worrying about the chlorinator I am the only one that does anything with pool so no worries their. So 1/4 black it is ill probably get one of those kits that has everything plus a new pump tube. looks like it takes a #2 pump tube. Still looking for a plastic tank locally cheapest I can find online for 15 gallon is about $85 with shipping.

I still may mount the pump and timer under the crawl space to keep it out of the weather.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.