Could my SWG still be generating chlorine even with my now cold water temps?

JonoVegas

Oct 6, 2018
Las Vegas NV
Is it possible that my SWG is still generating CL even with water temps below 60?

I expected some FC drop over a 5 day period even with colder water temps, expected SWG while on would not be generating CL

Here are my pertinent chems over last few days:

• 10/24 at 8:00 am water temp 67.5 and FC 6.5 and PH 7.1 (added MA the day before)

• 10/27 at 9:25 am water temp 56.3 and FC 6.5 and PH 7.5

• 10/29 at 8:10 am water temp 57.5 and FC 6.5 and PH 7.7

All other chems constant (TA 110, CYA 50, CH 375, CC 0, salt 3800). Solar cover off for season, Vegas sunshine but no swimming during test period. No rain since I can’t remember when. SWG still running for 4 hrs at 40% which was my last normal SWG timing to keep FC stable towards end of season. I’ll be pulling SWG out for cleaning and winter storage next week. Pump running lower speed for 12 hrs per day for last 6 months.

Again given Vegas sunshine I expected some FC loss even with cold water temps over 5 day period. Since SWG is still running, is it possible that CL is being generated even at these cold water temps?

Definitely. Your SWCG control should show if it is generating or not. What does it say.

No real need to remove it for winter. But up to you. Mine generates chlorine down to 52F water temperature.

Thanks Marty! Good info to know that the SWGs can still produce down to the low 50's water temp.

I'll have to look at my SWG control as I never really looked at it after everything was stable (CircuPool RJ45+). The only thing I do to the SWG is use a phone app to control schedule for on/off SWG times a couple of times during the season.

Once our water temperature drops solidly below 60F, I run our pump a few hours a day and set the SWCG to generate for 1 hour each day to add 0.5 ppm FC or so. So when the water is warm enough, it generates. If too cold, it does not. Test the FC every few days and add LC if necessary.
Here in Laughlin, that is typically from mid-December to early February.

Sounds like a great process, I think I'll try the same. I have to clean my filter (probably due that next week) and I will also clean/exam the SWG cell after my first season of use. Might use the bypass and keep the SWG cell out of the water for the first winter or maybe just leave it in, not sure yet. Really love the SWG after my 1st season with it!
We only make it to Laughlin once a summer or so but absolutely have a blast renting jet ski's on the river (when its not crowded)

The RJ45 has a "Generate" light on the control module. It will light if the cell is producing FC. For example, if you set your SWG for 40% production, the Generate light will come on 40% of the time...unless the water is too cold. So check your module when your SWG is scheduled to come on. If the light is on it's generating FC. If it is flashing then the temperature is too low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.